iPhone 13 Pro not a perfect fit with MagSafe Duo, but charging is unaffected

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2021
A larger camera module on Apple's new iPhone 13 Pro might cause fit issues with the MagSafe Duo charger, though functionality appears to be fine.

Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider
Credit: Andrew O'Hara, AppleInsider

According to Spanish-language site La Manzana Mordida, at least one early iPhone 13 Pro user found that their official leather case didn't sit flush with the MagSafe Duo charger. The user did not test an actual iPhone 13 Pro, since the models have not yet arrived on customer doorsteps.

Images originally shared by La Manzana Mordida clearly show the case's camera module cutout interfering with its ability to sit flush on the charger.

AppleInsider has tested the issue with an iPhone 12 Pro equipped with a new iPhone 13 Pro case. In testing, the MagSafe Duo's ability to charge the device is unimpaired despite the non-flush fit. Given the nature of MagSafe guaranteeing that the charging coils are in the same place, this will apply to the iPhone 13 Pro as well.

At this time, it looks like only the iPhone 13 Pro is affected. The iPhone 13 Pro Max is larger, so there's more space for the device's coils to make contact with the MagSafe charger without hitting the MagSafe Duo case. The iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini have a smaller cutout, and should also be unaffected.

Earlier in September, Apple filed a new MagSafe-based charger with the Federal Communications Commission. However, the company did not unveil any new MagSafe charging hardware at its Sept. 14 event, and it has yet to update the store with any new chargers.

The camera bumps are slightly larger across the entire iPhone 13 lineup. The silicone case for the iPhone 13 Pro, for example, has a cutout that measures 38mm x 37mm -- significantly larger than the camera bump on an iPhone 12 Pro.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Hate is a strong word. I hate that damn video you insist must intrude on every article. And the persons face that is always there is taking a fair bit of my frustration also. 
    Graeme000wonkothesanemacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 8
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    This is going to be a major issue with the OCD crowd. I can hear it now.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    What would happen if you just slid the phone upwards a bit? Would it be misaligned with the charging coils? Might be a non-issue when the phone is installed.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    drdavid said:
    Hate is a strong word. I hate that damn video you insist must intrude on every article. And the persons face that is always there is taking a fair bit of my frustration also. 
    Whole heartedly second this comment. Every time those videos pop up I like that person less and less. He's probably a great guy, but autoplay and popping up over the browser is a bad decision friend.
    wonkothesanewatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 8
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Did anyone actually buy that MagSafe Duo thing?  Looked like a piece of crap to me.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    drdavid said:
    Fully second that. These videos are totally annoying. Unfortunately, other than switching to auto-reader-mode there is apparently no fix for this fugly pop-out.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 8
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    drdavid said:
    Graeme000 said:
    drdavid said:
    Whole heartedly second this comment. Every time those videos pop up I like that person less and less. He's probably a great guy, but autoplay and popping up over the browser is a bad decision friend.
    drdavid said:
    Fully second that. These videos are totally annoying. Unfortunately, other than switching to auto-reader-mode there is apparently no fix for this fugly pop-out.
    Yeah, I'm along for that ride. It is wholly annoying at the best of times and hate it the rest of the time. It seems to be popular with a lot of sites that aren't all that concerned with the user experience.

I asked about it in another thread and the answer was something to the effect that it didn't look like it was going to change.

lkrupp said:
    This is going to be a major issue with the OCD crowd. I can hear it now.
    You don't have to be a member of "the OCD crowd" to hate this bug.
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 8 of 8
    This actually a problem for me. Potentially. I used double-sided tape and a Duo charger on the wall next to my bed to charge my watch and phone. My phone hangs magnetically vertically all night. I wouldn’t trust this.