If this was all just because my battery is a dud I'll...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
break something cheap and easily replaced. But getting to the point:

My iMac (233MHz Rev. B, 384MB RAM, 10.2.4) is affected by GLOD. For those of you not acquainted by this nasty little hardware glitch (GLOD: Green Light Of Death), it is a condition caused by a few different reasons, among which are a bad logic board and crud video card. Essentially, the monitor does not come back on after sleep, when restarting, and whilst changing resolution. Sometimes, the computer's monitor will not come on at all at any time. In my experience, there are quite a few levels of GLOD, and I seem to have one of the more moderate ones. The light stays green after shutting down (have to hit the switch on my power strip if I want to restart) and it wont awake from sleep. When changing from one resolution to a lesser resolution, it often dies but this is not the case when increasing the resolution. Additionally, it works correctly on occasion, often in spurts.

I have been reading up on the condition lately and I saw it suggested that an afflicted user change his/her battery. Now, being as (in my case) it actually works correctly sometimes, could this be a shot battery?

I ask because I can't be just going around wasting ten bucks all the time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    *bump*

Still interested in knowing if there are any people familiar with the problem...it's fairly common in early iMacs.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I've never seen a iMac do this, sorry. 8)
  • Reply 3 of 3
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Truth be told, I've only seen mine do this. But I have heard many others complain of it. \