Three new Apple Watch models coming in 2022, says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2021
Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reports that alongside the annual "Apple Watch Series 8" increment in the fall, Apple will also release a revised Apple Watch SE, and a special ruggedized sports edition.

As well as reporting on expectations for the Apple AR headset, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has continued his reports about forthcoming Apple Watch releases. Previously, he's suggested that the "Apple Watch Series 8" may include temperature measurement, but now he's doubling down on his expectation that Apple will expand the Watch range.

"The new Apple Watch [range] in 2H22 includes Apple Watch 8, the new Apple Watch SE, and the extreme sports version," says Kuo in his latest report.

He expects that Luxshare-ICT will be the main NPI (new product introduction) supplier for both the "Apple Watch Series 8" and the extreme sports version. Kuo has previously reported that Luxshare-ICT would produce 70% of the Apple Watch Series 7.

Kuo has no further details on the extreme sports version of the Apple Watch. However, previous reports have suggested that Apple has been evaluating such a model for some years.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    More speculation, hearsay, gossip without any foundation whatsoever from Kuo. 

Anyone with half a brain can make speculations like these. 

My personal speculation is fhat there will be an updated iPhone in 2022!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Kuo has no further details on the extreme sports version of the Apple Watch. However, previous reports have suggested that Apple has been evaluating such a model for some years.
    i’m not sure what an “extreme sports” version might entail. But it would have to be a more rugged version, perhaps paired with a special band. I would submit the most rugged version they make today is arguably the titanium. Its case and sapphire crystal are darn near impossible to scratch or break.  Something less than that, would be tough to consider as rugged or extreme.  IMO of course.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    dcgoo said:
    i’m not sure what an “extreme sports” version might entail. But it would have to be a more rugged version, perhaps paired with a special band. I would submit the most rugged version they make today is arguably the titanium. Its case and sapphire crystal are darn near impossible to scratch or break.  Something less than that, would be tough to consider as rugged or extreme.  IMO of course.
    Check out the G-Shock line by Casio for an example of what Apple might do here. I would imagine they would be positioned far lower on the price scale that the Ti models. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I’m going out on a limb to predict an Apple Watch 9 in 2023.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    ad931 said:
    More speculation, hearsay, gossip without any foundation whatsoever from Kuo. 

Anyone with half a brain can make speculations like these. 

My personal speculation is fhat there will be an updated iPhone in 2022!
    And yet...when this is reported here...we all clicked on it. Cha-ching. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Japhey said:
    dcgoo said:
    Check out the G-Shock line by Casio for an example of what Apple might do here. I would imagine they would be positioned far lower on the price scale that the Ti models. 
    I'm predicting that the upcoming Apple Watch Sports Edition will be Apple's first foray into round (instead of square) watches. They've needed to do this for a while and what better way to kick-off a round watch than to do it with a new "Extreme Sports Edition?"  This would check several boxes: 1) It would compete with Casio G-Shocks, and other competing smart watches. 2) It would provide Apple with marketing research to determine if they should later release other non-sports round-shaped Apple Watch models. 3) We would finally have more variations besides colors and materials.

It would be very Apple Inc. typical of them to approach the matter in this way.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    rikipedia said:
    Japhey said:
    dcgoo said:
    I'm predicting that the upcoming Apple Watch Sports Edition will be Apple's first foray into round (instead of square) watches. They've needed to do this for a while and what better way to kick-off a round watch than to do it with a new "Extreme Sports Edition?"  This would check several boxes: 1) It would compete with Casio G-Shocks, and other competing smart watches. 2) It would provide Apple with marketing research to determine if they should later release other non-sports round-shaped Apple Watch models. 3) We would finally have more variations besides colors and materials.

It would be very Apple Inc. typical of them to approach the matter in this way.
    That would be very Apple-like. I would assume that a round offering would be incompatible with current bands, though I would be happy to be proven wrong. If they were incompatible, I would be reluctant to upgrade to a round SS or Ti model for several years so as not to lay waste to my band collection. But, if they keep the metal lineup the same and only make the Extreme edition round, it would definitely be a day one purchase for me as a secondary Watch. Good point, I hope you’re right.