Apple has renewed sci-fi original drama 'Invasion' for a second season

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple TV+ has renewed its sci-fi drama series "Invasion" for a second season ahead of the conclusion of the show's first season.

Invasion renewed for second season.
Invasion renewed for second season.

News of the show's renewal comes just a couple of days before the finale of the first season, which debuts on Friday, Dec. 10, Apple announced on Wednesday.

"Invasion" stars Golshifteh Farahani, Shamier Anderson, Shioli Kutsuna, Firas Nassar, Billy Barratt, Azhy Robertson, Tara Moayedi, Daisuke Tsuji, and Sam Neill. The series, set on multiple continents, follows the story of an alien invasion told from different perspectives across the world.

The first season of the Eries was written and executive produced by Simon Kinberg and David Weil. Jakob Verbruggen is the director, as well as executive producer.

"I'm profoundly grateful to Apple for being so supportive every step of the way, and trusting us to make a deeply human, emotional alien-invasion story," said Kinberg. "And most of all I'm thankful to our amazing fans, without whom we wouldn't have this opportunity to continue the invasion. I'm super excited about what we're planning for season two, expanding our universe in the most intimate and epic ways."

Audrey Chon, Amy Kaufman, Elisa Ellis, and Katie O'Connell Marsh executive produce alongside Andrew Baldwin, who also serves as a writer.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    This show is alright. It’s neither terrible nor awesome. Some of the characters I started to care about, it just took 8-9 episodes to get there. The only real issue I have with Invasion is in how it was marketed as staring Sam Neill. Even this article listed him as one of the stars. To be clear…Sam Neill was only in this show for 5-10 minutes of the first episode. That is not a starring role, and it’s barely even a guest starring role. At best, it’s a cameo. There are plenty of other good actors on this show, obviously led by the talented Golshifteh Farahani (Chicken With Plums, About Elly), so it’s a bit sad that they needed to resort to false advertising in order to generate interest. Anyway, she is one of the main reasons I watched this show in the first place, and will be one of the main reasons I’ll look forward to season 2. 
    tenthousandthingsRonnyDaddyiOS_Guy80rwes
  • Reply 2 of 14
    I started watching this without knowing anything about it, but I’ve found it enjoyable. It’s an original take on the alien-invasion genre. It hardly shows the aliens at all for most of the time. It doesn’t explain what’s going on. Instead, it focuses on the chaos and confusion on the ground, a portrait of humanity based on the idea that if there were an alien invasion, they probably wouldn’t announce themselves. There are a lot of unanswered questions, which is okay in the context. Each character holds a piece of the puzzle. 

It isn’t too hard to guess where it’s going, but at this point it’s still not clear, so I’m not going to say, as I don’t want to spoil it. Also, I could be completely wrong…
    edited December 2021 lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I'm happy to know they renewed it.  It took a few episodes to get there, but I do enjoy it now.  The quality of the production is top-notch for sure.  Looking forward to seeing where they take this show.
    williamlondonrwesmacpluspluslollivermichelb76
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sflocal said:
    I'm happy to know they renewed it.  It took a few episodes to get there, but I do enjoy it now.  The quality of the production is top-notch for sure.  Looking forward to seeing where they take this show.
    👋👌👍
  • Reply 5 of 14
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    "The first season of the Eries"? Really?
    williamlondonFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 14
    But, as with Foundation, very slow. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 14
    I found Invasion mostly dreary and I couldn't relate to the characters at all. 
    Why they made this when great, movie ready Sci-Fi "invasion" novels like Greg Bear's "Forge Of God" sit on the shelf is beyond me.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 14
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    This show brings to mind the high praise on the poster for the musical in the IT Crowd:
    • "The audience applauded"
    • "More that tolerable"
    • "Not as long as some other shows."
    Search youtube for this video: 7TQJILoFd5o if you want to see the clip. I didn't include the full link because I was afraid of what the thumbnail may look like.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    But, as with Foundation, very slow. 

The rolling out of the plot and what is really happening is slow -- but the show itself is anything but slow.

On the other hand, I would rate Foundation as being slow in all aspects.  Its good, but slow.

Invasion on the other hand is packed with action and suspense -- and the suspense derives not only from not knowing what will happen next to the characters in each episode but what will happen -- or even what is happening -- throughout the series:  why the devastation?  What is causing it and why?   From the title you could pretty much figure out it was an alien invasion.  But why did they invade and what are their reasons as well as what are their capabilities?  We don't know.  That's suspense -- not slowness.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    I like the series and have looked forward to every episode.

But.

I agree with much of the criticism. I still have no idea what the point of Sam Neill’s character is. And really, how does someone as over-the-top emotional as the Mitsuki character get into a tech job like that to begin with?

I suppose it bothers me a tiny bit how you could have millions and millions of deaths and yet basically no bodies laying around.

I don’t sit there and dwell on my issues with it (other than maybe Mitsuki) while watching. It is a fairly good show so I’m happy to hear it was renewed. 
  • Reply 11 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I like the series and have looked forward to every episode.

But.

I agree with much of the criticism. I still have no idea what the point of Sam Neill’s character is. And really, how does someone as over-the-top emotional as the Mitsuki character get into a tech job like that to begin with?

I suppose it bothers me a tiny bit how you could have millions and millions of deaths and yet basically no bodies laying around.

I don’t sit there and dwell on my issues with it (other than maybe Mitsuki) while watching. It is a fairly good show so I’m happy to hear it was renewed. 

Yes, I agree.  There seemed to be some stereotyping:
    The Mitsuki character was written to be brilliant but unnecessarily weak from being overly emotional.  Funny how they could paint a female character who, on one side was a brilliant, genius level engineer but on the other side had emotional flaws (where the emotions were in control) that women have been stereotyped with over the generations.  Sort of a left handed compliment to women.  And, I agree that such a weak character would not have risen to a position of responsibility in the ranks of engineers.

The other character that bothered me was Ahmed, a character with mid-eastern, Muslim characteristics painted as being weak, untrustworthy, sneaky, mostly self-centered and essentially despicable.  Again, it seemed to play off of a long standing stereotype.

But, those are minor, easily overlooked problems with an otherwise very well written, directed, acted and produced story.
    edited December 2021
  • Reply 12 of 14
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Easily the worst show on AppleTV+. I still don’t understand how it even got made. I’m absolutely shocked it got renewed. It is objectively awful. Just flat out dumb and painful (and often unintentionally hilarious) to watch.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 13 of 14
    takeo said:
    Easily the worst show on AppleTV+. I still don’t understand how it even got made. I’m absolutely shocked it got renewed. It is objectively awful. Just flat out dumb and painful (and often unintentionally hilarious) to watch.

I totally disagree.  I think it is evolving into one of the best shows.

In addition, after watching another episode as the characters further evolve, I take back my previous criticisms of Mitsuki and Ahmed.  They seem to be maturing into better people.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    takeo said:
    And such a shame because you were the *one* it was targeting, now all is lost and they're wasting time and money because it was to appeal to you and no one else.