eMac Display Problems

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi there --

I have an eMac 700mhz, that I purchased in August 2002.

At the end of February 2003 the display started going haywire, flickering, resizing and relocating itself -- absolute insanity...

I took it into a service depot -- who promised me 5 day turnaround --

they actually got around to it on the 6th day they had it...

regardless...

they ended up replacing the analog board/crt -- only to have that fail --

upon getting another part in, they installed it -- only to lessen the problem minimally --

i have taken the machine back and have had some severe moments, but have also had some clarity as well.

Calling Apple has given me the option of taking it in AGAIN and perhaps having another analog board/crt installed.

I am absolutely frustrated with this -- and even if they decide to replace my machine, am scared that this wont be the end of the problems...

Apple hasnt addressed the problem publicly, nor apparently have been able to solve this problem for most eMac users - and I'm wondering what the experiences of others are.

anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    All I can tell you is to make sure you have apple care for 3 years if you plan to keep it working that long. I have had my share of issues with apple with my iBook.

I think most people would like a computer to last more than just one year. Again if that is you get applecare for another 2 years. I would be willing to bet it will be used and save you money in the end.

Fellowship
  • Reply 2 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    eMacs have a known video problem... at the lab where I work I'd say 10% have problems... and others have already been fixed... \ just send it in, not much else you can do other then a class action lawsuit...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Didn't they discover that the problem was actually a faulty cable? The Apple Knowledge Base doesn't seem to be helpful in this regard, but I remember reading it on MacFixIt and elsewhere.

So yes, send it in, but make sure they don't just replace the logic board. That might not be the problem. There's an internal cable to the display that's also been wonky.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

I think most people would like a computer to last more than just one year.

Fellowship

My Powermac 8600/200 has worked flawlessly (the hardware) since I bought it which was over 5 years ago.

When I buy a new powermac, I'm going to keep this one just in case...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    I bought 5 eMacs new the same day. One of them has the video problem. Took over a month for it to start acting up!
  • Reply 6 of 6
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    The problem is definitely the video cable. Tell them about it and tell them to call Apple directly and they will confirm that that is the problem.