Switcher Q - Order of installing software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've got a MDD G4 due to show up this week. According to the salesperson, G4s are still shipping with 10.2 but I was told I could download 10.2.3 for free. I also ordered iLife, Office v.X and other software. Should I upgrade to 10.2.3 first and then install the rest of the software or does it really matter. Does Safari come installed or do I have to download that too? (thank goodness for DSL).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EdinLA43

I've got a MDD G4 due to show up this week. According to the salesperson, G4s are still shipping with 10.2 but I was told I could download 10.2.3 for free. I also ordered iLife, Office v.X and other software. Should I upgrade to 10.2.3 first and then install the rest of the software or does it really matter. Does Safari come installed or do I have to download that too? (thank goodness for DSL).

Congrats

10.2.4 is a free download and you can install it using Software Update. Safari is a free beta available here

I would have upgraded the system software before installing the other software, but it doesn't really matter as long as the software is compatible with 10.2(.0).
  • Reply 2 of 4
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    If you are uncertain which software updates to install before and which, after, use Software Update in System Preferences. If, say, Safari is not pre-installed, just download it. If an Apple's app requires a more recent system version, it will tell you. Don't be afraid.

Apple Software Updates
  • Reply 3 of 4
    edinla43edinla43 Posts: 43member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I've just been a PC user for too long, always having to uninstall older versions first or having them freeze because I didn't install something else that it needed first or finding out I'm missing some .dll file somewhere.

Getting anxious for the arrival day........................
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Nope welcome out of .dl-hell.

On a Mac it generally never matters what order you install software in.