Can Final Cut Pro split a movie onto two DVD-Rs?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone done this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    The answer is yes, but the specifics are going to depend on exactly what sort of clips and sequences you're working with.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I just want to split movies from dual-layered DVDs onto 2 DVD-Rs. I usually use DVDBackup to extract the VIDEO_TS folder with all the VOBs (unencrypted) in it. Is there a simple way to do this with Final Cut Pro? I heard that realistically it couldn't easily do this and I was disappointed since it's a $1,000 app!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    You're disappointed that a professional media creation app isn't tailored specifically for pirating DVDs? Pathetic.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I want to back up movies I OWN (ok fine a few my roommate owns.) Besides splitting movies seems like a common action. It's like GraphicConverter not opening GIF files.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    DVD X Copy does exactly what you want. It costs a hefty penny, but it is still legal.8)

EDIT: It's PC though.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Right, FCP won't do that easily (it is possible, but reasonably illegal), and that's largely due to the complexity of the DVD format which is largely aimed at... stopping people making copies.

I've got to agree with Brad, that's not what FCP is designed to do. What it does do, it does superbly.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I think I meant DVD Studio Pro...oops. What about DVD SP?
  • Reply 8 of 13
    We can't edit thread names with vB can we?
  • Reply 9 of 13
    D'oh!

That said, I have absolutely no experience with DVD SP , and I can see what you're getting at: I'd suspect that maybe even the software is set up so it can't be used for DVD copying, the MPAA being what they are...
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Yea I bet. I wish I could change the thread title.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    DVD SP isn't going to help you pirate movies in this fashion either.

DVD SP is a layout creation app. It isn't made for breaking up media.

*shrug*
  • Reply 12 of 13
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Um as far as i know you can't. You can import your sequences into DVD studio and then split it up through that, but your timecode has to be correct, ie one ends at 60:00 the other starts at 60:01 something like that, its not meant for hacking movies, but to do production on sorry. I'd just try and find a friend with a DVD RAM at a duplication house you just hand the tape/disc/whatever media, and they hit play on the media and record on the deck, and voila you have a cool DVD.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    yeah you can do it if you want. you just have to use whatever encoding application you have then import the things into fcp. then combine the files back into two sequences. export the sequences into quicktime format and i'm not at the computer but if mpeg-2 is not on there you can just use whatever hig quality one is there and use ffmpeg to transfer it to mpeg-2. the sequences can be put onto two diferent dvd's cd's or whatever. i had to do this once because my copy of shanghai noon was scratched but if i tried to rip it then it would copy, so i had to make a vcd version of the movie.