Dutch App Store change allows dating apps to take third-party payments

Posted:
in iOS edited January 2022
Apple has confirmed it will be complying with a regulatory order to change its App Store payment rules, by allowing dating apps in the Netherlands to use third-party payment mechanisms.

In an announcement provided to developers on Friday, Apple says it is complying with an order from the Netherlands Authority for Consumers and Markets (ACM) to provide two "optional new entitlements." The two additions will apply to payment processing options only in the Netherlands App Store, and will be only applicable to dating apps.

The announcement links to a new developer support page dedicated to the changes, as well as advising developers of what they can offer consumers.

Developers that the order applies to can choose from one of three options:
  • Continue using Apple's existing in-app purchase system.
  • Include an in-app link directing customers to the developer's website to complete a purchase.
  • Use a third-party payment system within the app.
Apple further advises that developers must understand the company "cannot validate the security and safety of payments that take place outside of the App Store's private and secure payment system." Since Apple doesn't have this knowledge, it also won't be "able to assist users with refunds, purchase history, subscription management, and other issues" relating to purchases made outside the App Store.

"You will be responsible for addressing such issues with customers," Apple concludes.

The change is due to a ruling by the ACM made in October and published in December, determining Apple broke competition laws in the country. The ACM told Apple it had to make changes to the App Store, or face fines of up to 50 million euros. ($57 million)

While Apple has made the change, it still intends to fight the decision, telling developers it has appealed to a higher court "because we do not believe these orders are in our users' best interests." Apple cites user privacy and data security concerns that could "compromise the user experience."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,248member
    I assume Apple will start charging a hosting fee for developers who don’t use Apple’s payment system. No court can force a “store” to allow a “seller” to use that store’s facilities free of charge. If they do, I can’t wait to see other sellers demand free store space at every store in the Netherlands. I’m talking about grocery stores, clothing stores and even automobile dealerships. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    rob53 said:
    I assume Apple will start charging a hosting fee for developers who don’t use Apple’s payment system. No court can force a “store” to allow a “seller” to use that store’s facilities free of charge. If they do, I can’t wait to see other sellers demand free store space at every store in the Netherlands. I’m talking about grocery stores, clothing stores and even automobile dealerships. 
    In that case, they should force them to outright allow alternative means of installing software.

The App Store being the only way to install software is absolutely ridiculous in 2022, it's a monopoly whether you want to admit it or not.
    edited January 2022 elijahgwilliamlondonavon b7
  • Reply 3 of 11
    dantheman827 said: The App Store being the only way to install software is absolutely ridiculous in 2022, it's a monopoly whether you want to admit it or not.
    The ability of developers to release their apps on a wide variety of platforms says otherwise. They're not dependent on iOS/iPadOS for sales. A judge in the U.S. has already ruled on that in the BlueMail lawsuit. 
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    rob53 said:
    In that case, they should force them to outright allow alternative means of installing software.

The App Store being the only way to install software is absolutely ridiculous in 2022, it's a monopoly whether you want to admit it or not.
    How is it a monopoly when there are other stores out there for other platforms? You can't just look at Apple's App Store. I don't really think that's how it works whether you want it to or not. 
    williamlondonStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So why only "dating apps"?
    Oh yey!
    Since prostitution is legal there, this should be a big help to that industry.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Oh yey!
    Since when is dating, prostitution? 

Also, soliciting via an iOS app is against the Apple TOS.

Far fetched comparison nonsense from someone who clearly is not familiar with either the Dutch culture and laws, as well as Apple’s. 
    Go read up on the subject on Amnesty International and Apple’s legal documents.

In countries where prostitution is illegal, it is still there with a lot of demand and offering, but hidden and non-regulated, encouraging sex trafficking and abuse.
    So before you poke at the Dutch law, take a helicopter view and look at it from a global perspective.

• Reply 7 of 11
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    dantheman827 said: The App Store being the only way to install software is absolutely ridiculous in 2022, it's a monopoly whether you want to admit it or not.
    The ability of developers to release their apps on a wide variety of platforms says otherwise. They're not dependent on iOS/iPadOS for sales. A judge in the U.S. has already ruled on that in the BlueMail lawsuit. 
    Some apps make only sense if they are available on all popular platforms.   I have developed an e-voting for general assemblies of NPOs, and my customers (the NPOs) demand that the app should be available on iOS, Android, Windows, Mac and Linux, so that all of their members can vote

• Reply 8 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    rob53 said:

Just stop.  Ignorance is something you should not be proud of.
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Oh yey!
    Since when is dating, prostitution? 

Also, soliciting via an iOS app is against the Apple TOS.

Far fetched comparison nonsense from someone who clearly is not familiar with either the Dutch culture and laws, as well as Apple’s. 
    Go read up on the subject on Amnesty International and Apple’s legal documents.

In countries where prostitution is illegal, it is still there with a lot of demand and offering, but hidden and non-regulated, encouraging sex trafficking and abuse.
    So before you poke at the Dutch law, take a helicopter view and look at it from a global perspective.

You need to ask that the other way:  "When is prostitution called 'dating' "  (Answer:  Quite often)
    And, in your outrage, you failed to answer the question I posed:    Why only dating apps?
    I see only a single answer to that question.

And, by the way, I see no problem with prostitution per se -- particularly if it's legal and well regulated to limit or prevent the abuse that is so common when it is run by criminal organizations.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    rob53 said:

Incorrect. It’s no more a monopoly than McDonald’s has over its own menu, items, vendors, etc. Or Nintendo or Xbox — they control what vendors can publish to their official store infrastructure. 
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra