First Taste of Apple (its quite nice)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi

This is my first post on this forum, it doesn't have much content but i just wanted to ask a quick question. I am a newly converted windows user - i was looking for a laptop and, from my point of view, apple laptops vs pc laptops is not even a contest. I ordered a BTO 12" powerbook (with more RAM, 60gig HD and airport extreeeeeeme) on friday, and they told me it would take 4 - 6 days to build. Imagine my surprise when i got an email on saturday saying it had shipped (!) - very impressive.

here's the question: how long does it normally take apple to ship laptops in the UK? (where i am?) can i expect it today or should it arrive tomorrow?

thanks

Mike

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Welcome to the Mac world! I've got a 12" PowerBook myself, lovely little machine.

I'm trying to remember, because the last thing I bought online from Apple was Jaguar... That came over from Ireland by TNT, so if that's still the case, I'd think you'd have it today. Certainly no later than tomorrow.

I thought they gave you an online tracking number once it had shipped?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    d_miked_mike Posts: 7member
    They did indeed, but i can't find the online tracking part of the apple website...

Mike
  • Reply 3 of 8
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I got my shipping note for my iMac on Friday. I called the apple store to ask if they could put an exact date on my delivery.

{{ Keyboard tapping down the phone }}

"Ahh yes, its in Luxembourg customs, Should be with you on Wednesday."

I also asked who the couriers were and could I track the package myself, it was apparently Irish Express Cargo (www.iec-logistics.com). However the tracking system is a bit lame.

I enetered my shipping number and guessed the customer reference as being "app", but the information displayed is not very informative.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    12" PB, one of the best values in Apple's line-up (at the edu price of course) I dunno about paying retail or especially the Bank of Apple's inflated Canadian conversion rates.

Enjoy, I'm liking mine.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    d_miked_mike Posts: 7member
    Thanks for comments

I phoned apple up this morning and they told me mine was on its way to luxembourg. Should apparently arrive on Friday or Monday. I really hope it comes on Friday. I can't stand this waiting...

I got mine from the education store too - great deal. £1300 ish for 12" pb, 384mb RAM, 60gig HD and airport extreme.

I'm happy, i just which it would come. I hope it doesn't have anything wrong with it either, i couldn't bear to have to send it off and endure even more waiting.

Mike
  • Reply 6 of 8
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    I want a 12" PB too!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Congrats on the purchase and welcome to AppleInsider.

I'm sure you'll have lots of initial questions for setting it up, as things are fairly different in the Mac world than in the PC world. Feel free to search the forums if you have questions or just make new posts with your concerns if you like.

Hopefully your transition from Windows will go smoothly. When you get your new Mac, don't be afraid to play around with it. You can change around all the options in the System Preferences and not have to worry about it breaking. As you get used to the style of Mac OS X, remember not to try to make things too harder than they should be. I've seen too many ex-Windows users get confused trying to do the simplest of tasks. How do I install an app without an installer?? Just drag the icon to the Applications folder or anywhere else you want it. How do I remove software without an Add/Remove Software control panel?? Just drag the app icon to the Trash. Even some long-time Mac users can overlook the ease and simplicity of certain tasks.

Cheers.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    Hi Mike, congrats on the new Mac!

By, the way, expect the PB anytime soon as the tracking system is shite.

I ordered my iMac 800 SD on a Wednesday - checked with Apple on following Wednesday ("It's currently in Luxembourg blah blah delivery Friday") - Arrived same day!

Anyhoo, hope you have fun with the PB, lucky @%*$!