Airport update, when and how much?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I know that Apple is working on a new faster version of Airport based on the g standard. However, I thought that some people were predicting the update for MWNY 2002, which obviously didn't happen. What are your ideas on timeframe and feature set on these new stations in comparison to the current offering?

Peter

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I don't think that a new version will come out very soon, considering that an 802.11g standard isn't even set. Maybe it'd be possible if they did something based on 802.11b+ like D-Link and USR have, but I'm not sure that will happen either. To read about 802.11b and some comments on 802.11g, go here:

<a href="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,437741,00.asp"; target="_blank">Extremetech - 802.11b+ protocol bridges 802.11a, 802.11b</a>
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I don't think we're too far away from an AirPort 802.11g update anymore. As far as I know the standard is set already. (I'm looking to find a link to proove this.) The main advantage is that 802.11a and g use the same 2.4 GHz frequency range. Wherear b is in the 5GHz range. This makes it easier to reuse current hardware. (read built in antennas) You'd need a diferent antenna setup for b. The higher frequency also would need higher powered amplifiers as TX power reduces with raising frequencies. (Ask any ham radio operator about that.) I might be mistaken but doesn't 802.11g use channel bundling similar to GSM? I haven't gotten into that matter that far yet. Somebody please educate me a little on that!

I'm wondering if it'd be possible ot use an AirPort card to transmit Bluetooth as well. Since BT also uses 2.4GHz frequency and is just another wireless ethernet standard (802.15) I don't see many problems to make this possible. Maybe not multiplexed with AirPort transmission simultanously but alternating. BT is limited to 1Mbit/s so bandwidth shouldn't be an issue as well. Am I missing something important that would prevent this?

So the main question for me is: Will it be possible to fit 802.11g cards into older Macs? ill it be possible to flash upgrade current AirPort Cards and (maybe white only) BaseStations? I sit possible to use an AirPort card for BT?

Just an (semi un)educated guess...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Bluetooth integrated into a airport card has been done, but yet no word if apple will support this technology. (They probably will ... it's APPLEpeople!) However, I don't think a firmware upgrade will enable airport basestations to use 802.11g. I think the chips on the card have to be changed a little. I would expect to see another Airport 3.0 out for that.

:cool:
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Does this mean anything?

I went to order an ibook on apples site. Usually they offer all the extras like printer, camera, software, zip-drive, etc... but they did not offer an airport base station as an additional purchase option. I would think that this is normally something that would show up in order to push their base stations. ibook users would be very happy to buy a base station...especially if they ordered an airport card with the ibook!

You can still order one if you go through the apple store looking specifily for an airport base station.

Could this mean that they are getting ready to release a new airport?

[ 08-10-2002: Message edited by: EchoDriver ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 15
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by ptzwon:

<strong>I know that Apple is working on a new faster version of Airport based on the g standard. However, I thought that some people were predicting the update for MWNY 2002, which obviously didn't happen. What are your ideas on timeframe and feature set on these new stations in comparison to the current offering?

Peter</strong><hr></blockquote>

i'd really say it will not be this year that we see a new airport. I'm thinking it will be more like this time next year, when 802.11g is better sorted out..

Also is it possible or just a silly idea (I am no pro with H/w) to have a USB port on an airport so a printer could be plugged into thqat and handled by the airport rather than beign looked after by the main computer it is plugged into????

Cheers
  • Reply 6 of 15
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Go to the Apple store and check out the current wait for airport cards (but not basestations). 2-3 weeks.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I thought one of the problems was that 802.11g was 5 GHz and that is military frequency in Europe
  • Reply 8 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    802.11a is 5 GHz

802.11g is 2.4 GHz
  • Reply 9 of 15
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    802.11g uses the same frequencies as the current 802.11b, hence why they'll be backwards compatible. 802.11a is @ 5ghz. which will give it less room to interfere with other appliances [house phones, bluetooth, etc.] but it's not backwards compatible with 802.11b.

Even though bluetooth offers frequency-hopping, it still can sometimes interfere with other things in the 2.4ghz band.

Either way, I'd rather get 802.11g than 802.11a. Mainly because computers/people with existing 802.11b setups can accomodate 802.11g.

What I'm wondering is :::

will the airport sockets on current apple pc's support 802.11g cards? [and transmit to a 802.11g base station]
  • Reply 10 of 15
    what about this idea- The cards are delayed so they can release a card that encoporates Bluetooth?!?!

I think this speculation makes a lot of sense too- you do not need a bluetooth base you just need that hardware piece in the computer. Apple has established airport in their machines so that underlying foundation is there.

Is it at all feasible they are adding bluetooth functionality to the card so now that single card can deliver both solutions??
  • Reply 11 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    [quote]Originally posted by badtz:

<strong>What I'm wondering is :::

will the airport sockets on current apple pc's support 802.11g cards? [and transmit to a 802.11g base station]</strong><hr></blockquote>

They Should. The cards use a standard PCMCIA interface capable of much higher speeds.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Ebby,

could you please post a link where to get info on that Bluetooth/AirPort combo? I'd be very interested in that. I do fancy an experiment!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i'm sure they will be updating soon, if purely because i recently bought a white basestation and airport cards for all the computers in the house....less than a month and out of date?? sounds like how things usually happen to me :eek: oh well, loving the basestation and airport so far....g
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Amazon's relationship with Apple seems to be on a significant upswing.

Amazon is offering free Airport cards with eMac, iMac, and iBook through August 25.

To my knowledge, they're the only Apple reseller with this promo. Everyone else just has the printers and free/cheap memory.

I think something may be up. Airport cards included with all three lines in the near future, to fit with an Airport/Bluetooth blitz?

Just wondering. And holding off on buying anything for a few weeks. :cool:
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Amazon's just had good promos in the computer department this summer... ranging from promotional certificates, to cheaper prices, to extra bundled stuff. I think the Mac deals are more of a byproduct of this than anything else. Regardless, I enjoyed getting an iBook with a $200 promo certificate from them