HP Laserjet 4000 & TCP/IP?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a pal who has a HP 4000 printer. She used to print to it via Appletalk with an old iMac in OS 9.

Now she has a new iMac, OS X, and she is on a SOHO LAN with a Windows XP PC and an iBook (also in X). She has a cable modem with a Linksys router. The router is dishing-out local DHCP addresses (NAT).

Question: Can the HP LJ 4000 be configured to receive an IP address via DHCP address from the linksys router like the computers do? I see an option for TCP/IP in the LCD config panel, but it only has has one option: BootP. Any ideas?

Our goal is to turn off AppleTalk, and turn on print sharing so she can provide print services to the Windows XP box. RIght now only the Macs can see the HP (via AppleTalk)

Does HP make a LaserJet utility app for OS X yet?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I have a pal who has a HP 4000 printer. She used to print to it via Appletalk with an old iMac in OS 9.

Now she has a new iMac, OS X, and she is on a SOHO LAN with a Windows XP PC and an iBook (also in X). She has a cable modem with a Linksys router. The router is dishing-out local DHCP addresses (NAT).

Question: Can the HP LJ 4000 be configured to receive an IP address via DHCP address from the linksys router like the computers do? I see an option for TCP/IP in the LCD config panel, but it only has has one option: BootP. Any ideas?

Our goal is to turn off AppleTalk, and turn on print sharing so she can provide print services to the Windows XP box. RIght now only the Macs can see the HP (via AppleTalk)

Does HP make a LaserJet utility app for OS X yet?

A printer needs a static ip or your machines won't know what the ip address is when the lease is up and it has a different ip allocated.

To use the 4000 via OS X just start the printmanager and add an ip printer entering the ip address if the printer direct.

If you create a network shared printer via XP you can also print to it from OS X.

The you can turn of bootp by configuring ip and changing bootp to manual ip setup.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    One more thing:

You do not need to share this printer through one of the comps.

It supports many protocols, so it can use both TCP/IP and appletalk at the same time.

Both comps can connect directly to it, and you have a choice with iBook, you can use TCP/IP or appletalk.

and like dobby said, make sure printer's IP is static.

:-)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    But can an XP box print directly to the HP like a Mac does, or do I need to configure a print server on a Mac for the XP box?

Does HP make a JetDirect utility for OS X yet? I am tired of using the crusty old OS 9 version...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

But can an XP box print directly to the HP like a Mac does, or do I need to configure a print server on a Mac for the XP box?

Does HP make a JetDirect utility for OS X yet? I am tired of using the crusty old OS 9 version...

In your XP system, Click on Start (now this is where I get fuzzy on the exact location on the printer controls) - settings - printers then add a printer (the 'wizard' now starts, add local printer, create new port (should be a standard tcp/ip port type), next, add ip address etc and it should be setup.

Or download lj522en.EXE from hp.com and it will install the printer for you.

Dobby.

Sorry forgot to add that you still need the PPD to print to the machine. The OS 9 PPD works on our 4000n.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Does XP have the HP LJ 4000 driver already installed?

When did Windows start allowing me to print directly? I always thought that a Windows box needed a print server ala Samba or Novell (or Printer Sharing on a local serial printer)
  • Reply 6 of 6
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    dstranathan

Yes you can print 'directly' to the printer under win.

XP already has all the drivers for that printer.

Under XP all u do is to go to add new printer wizard, then choose network printer, type IP, and that's it.

You don't have to create local port :-)

Same thing on OS X, type IP, choose correct printer type, and you are done.