can't open large .rtf document

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I converted a bunch of Word PC files to rich text format, then opened them in AppleWorks 6 ( I don't have Word). It worked just fine for all of them, except for one - the largest one, a 300-page Word document (it is 328 K). Every time I try to open it in AppleWorks, it causes a freeze. I tried bumping AW's preferred memory way up, to no avail. I tried Simple Text, but got the predictable "This File Is Too Large For Simple Text To Open" message. Any thoughts? I really need to get this document on my Mac.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    try BBedit lite.

should work like a charm.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

try BBedit lite.

should work like a charm.

Only sort of, unfortunately. It opened it, but it's a mess - formatting all gone, millions of backslashes and other punctuation all over it. Unusable. Am I doing something wrong?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    file's probably corrupt then
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

file's probably corrupt then

That could be - but I have several copies of the original Word file on a couple of different disks, and I got the same result with each one of them.

in fact, I just went back and tried opening (in BBEdit) some of the other, shorter rtf. files that AppleWorks was able to open, and they didn't work right either. So the problem must be in BBEdit, yes? I'm going to uninstall it and download another copy and see if that helps.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Didn't do any good. Screw it - I emailed the original file to a friend who claims he can convert it for me. We'll see.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Well, icWord 2.1 did the trick - opened it perfectly, all formats still there. Nice!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    for all Googlazy's: icWord