165 Days till Panther...

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
From Eweek:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,993535,00.asp

Looks like its shipping in sept.

-------------

Now that Apple Computer Inc. has let the cat halfway out of the bag about the next major revision to Mac OS X, sources report that the "Panther" release will reach end users in mid-September.

According to sources familiar with the forthcoming revisions to the Unix-based OS, Apple will freeze development on new features in May and finalize enhancements to the user interface in July.

---------

Mmm... new interface candy.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Sounds good to me. This means Panther is quite substantial(not that I thought it wouldn't be)

I don't necessarily believe this would mean PPC 970 systems are coming at that point. Apple has options to deliver them earlier with 10.2.x or wait.

So if the Code is frozen in May then what the developers will have is what we should see in sept...working properly of course.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Apple did not immediately return phone calls requesting comment

I'm sure they will call back later on, say sometime after WWDC
  • Reply 3 of 11
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    maybe 165 for you, not for those of us who get it from WWDC.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    true. i meant for consumers. Even if i could, i would not run the panther beta.

I have too much software that could break. that would not be a good thing as marth. would say

nelson->beat up martin

newton->eat up martha.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I demand someone at Apple leak 3 juicy screen shots. Please do so in the next couple days. I would love to get some info prior to May 2.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

I demand someone at Apple leak 3 juicy screen shots. Please do so in the next couple days. I would love to get some info prior to May 2.

Funny!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    from looprumors.com

We have just learned some very exciting news regarding the forthcoming Macintosh Operating System from Apple, codenamed 'Panther.' Those close to the project tell us that Panther will be "unlike anything else out there," and will "end all comparisons" between Microsoft Windows and the Mac. The new operating system will have Amazon's one-click technology built right in, so shopping becomes part of the OS. We also learned that everything will be as simple as the current iPhoto strategy, where you plug in any of today's popular digital camera and "it just works." As in years past, Apple is working hard on making the new OS work for the user rather than the user doing the work. As LoopRumors reported on March 18th, the project is on schedule for this Fall.

check it out:

http://www.looprumors.com

granted "the ability to buy things with one click" does not make a OS "unlike anything else" (maybe he should reword it) but i think its what he could not write? as to what is implied as the "unlike anything else" part...

_
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

from looprumors.com

We have just learned some very exciting news regarding the forthcoming Macintosh Operating System from Apple, codenamed 'Panther.' Those close to the project tell us that Panther will be "unlike anything else out there," and will "end all comparisons" between Microsoft Windows and the Mac. The new operating system will have Amazon's one-click technology built right in, so shopping becomes part of the OS. We also learned that everything will be as simple as the current iPhoto strategy, where you plug in any of today's popular digital camera and "it just works." As in years past, Apple is working hard on making the new OS work for the user rather than the user doing the work. As LoopRumors reported on March 18th, the project is on schedule for this Fall.

check it out:

http://www.looprumors.com

granted "the ability to buy things with one click" does not make a OS "unlike anything else" (maybe he should reword it) but i think its what he could not write? as to what is implied as the "unlike anything else" part...

_

Is it just me or does building shopping right into the OS sound like a REALLY bad idea?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    i really think the writer at looprumors made a mistake by using it as example. in reality it should just be nearly invisible
  • Reply 10 of 11
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Sounds good, hopefully it delivers.

Sep is a good date for releasing Panther. I intend to buy my next Mac in Oct. Which means I can get panther for free!!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

Is it just me or does building shopping right into the OS sound like a REALLY bad idea?

It is not just you, though it may be contained to you and me. I'm a bit afraid of that move, maybe without cause though. However, it sounds like advertising directly in the OS might be a next step, and then what do we do? It would be unlike anything else.