AI: Details of New Music Service Emerge

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
From our very own front page:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=112

The proffered details sound good: Easy ordering, pay only to get what you want, buy individual tracks or whole albums for less than the sum of the cost of the individual tracks. iPhoto-like integration into iTunes. And, critically, support from the big labels (although I'm curious about support from the little guys, too, since that's where I find most of the music I'm interested in, and I'm also curious about the availability of previously out of print titles).

Tentative date: April 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    sounds interesting!

(and they managed to use the word "chicanary" in a sentence!)
  • Reply 2 of 30
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    What?

We have a front page????

• Reply 3 of 30
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Finally something worth reading graces our front page. The 30 second streams are nice.

The cabal of twerps comes through.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

I am shocked and awed by the use of this term.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

hahahahahahahaahaha
  • Reply 6 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

sounds interesting!

Is that a small, female Hispanic bird, or did you mean chicanery?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    What is this now, two front page updates in under 3 weeks?
  • Reply 8 of 30
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

When I read the word "vicissitudes", I was expecting that Kasper would refer to the vicious war in Irak as a factor that may delay the April 28 introduction of an Apple music service.

Anyway, I'm overjoyed that Kasper Jade is back on board and that AppleInsider is publishing again. Hurray! 8)

Escher
  • Reply 9 of 30
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

NewOrder helped contribute to this report

??? the thot plickens....
  • Reply 10 of 30
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    NewOrder if you remember correctly predicted the pay for iApps thing before MWSF.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    and wrote some of the best songs of the 80's
  • Reply 12 of 30
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Starting to get noticed. Article at Insanely Great Mac this morning:

Rumor: iMusic to Play April 28?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I never trust that AppleInsider: it's always full of half-guesses, suppositions, hobby horses and good old-fashioned BS.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    so are the mods taking over the front page of AI??

more updates, updates of actual interest to AI members....weeeeeeee, let the fun begin

g

thanks for the info neworder
  • Reply 15 of 30
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

so are the mods taking over the front page of AI??

Nope. The writers are the same, and we have just as little to do with them as ever. As usual, I first noticed the article on MacSurfer.

Quote:

more updates, updates of actual interest to AI members....weeeeeeee, let the fun begin

We can all hope so. At any rate, it looks like Kasper and the gang really are trying to get the ball moving.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    on a related note....i would love it if they had mp3s of out of print material....dang, they could charge extra for that i would be hitting that click to buy button over and over again....

g
  • Reply 17 of 30
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Wow, I really hope that comes to be. I've always wanted something like that, where you could simply buy songs that you actually want (as opposed to entire CDs, where 75% is often worthless filler tracks).

I've never been opposed to paying for music...I simply think that the $15-18 regularly charged for commercial CDs is a bit ridiculous.

And, like thegelding said, I hope it's a wide-ranging source and that maybe I can find some cool, obscure 70's and 80's nuggets there from time to time, as well as "off the beaten path" bands, artists, albums, songs, etc.

This whole thing isn't going to do me any good if the only thing I can purchase is overplayed, overexposed mainstream crap like Celine Dion, Aerosmith, Shania Twain, Limp Korn and the like.

\

That was the beauty of Napster: I could ALWAYS find what I was looking for. Somebody, somewhere in the world had it: old Dave Edmunds or Nick Lowe stuff, a Flock of Seagulls remix, soundtracks from long-forgotten movies, one hit wonders from my youth, obscure bluegrass/folk artists, demo recordings, outtakes, etc.

It was a treasure chest!

• Reply 18 of 30
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Overhope

I never trust that AppleInsider: it's always full of half-guesses, suppositions, hobby horses and good old-fashioned BS.

If you think AI is bad, you should read AppleOutsider. Woo-wee!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    yep, pscates, i've been looking for the comsat angels songs, It's History and After the Rain, for a while...out of print and no where to be found...if apple can get us some stuff from my younger years and not just the cd's currently at bestbuy and target, that would be a great system....i usually spend about 100 to 200 a month on music and dvds....i would gladly shuttle some of that dough apple's way....

g
  • Reply 20 of 30
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I know I'm not alone:

Quote:

vicissitude n: the quality or state of being changeable

chicanery n: deception by artful subterfuge or sophistry

subterfuge n: deception by artifice or stratagem in order to conceal, escape, or evade

Now that I'm well-read, good article. It's good to see that AI still does that from time to time.