Chicago Apple Store Information

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I was at one of the Apple stores in the Chicago area this morning and an employee (Not just a salesperson) let out some details about the downtown store we've all been wondering about.

Philip

P.S. If anyone lives/works near the site of the store, I would be very interested in seeing some recent pictures. I was up there in December, but they should have made some progress since then if they want to open by summer.

P.S.S. Sorry guys. If you've already read this, consider yourself lucky. When I talked to the person at the store, I forgot to ask if I was safe in posting this info. So I emailed him (Albeit after I posted it here), and he just replied and said I could only post this (Which is pretty vague):

1) Building is 4 stories

2) 4th story is theater

3) Will open in mid summer

4) Square footage is larger than both SOHO and LA

Again, I apologize.

Philip

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Where is it? My fiancee lives in chicago and I'll be up there in a couple months (she's moving at the end of June - of course before they'll open, no doubt...)
  • Reply 2 of 65
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Where is it? My fiancee lives in chicago and I'll be up there in a couple months (she's moving at the end of June - of course before they'll open, no doubt...)

As I recall, right downtown on Michigan Avenue. That's the one with all the shopping, right?

I believe it's also been in the works pretty much since the first apple store opened up, so it's been a long time coming.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    i think it's the old gap site. someone (scott i think) posted photos of the building 4 or 5 months ago. they've been working on it forever.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    idudeidude Posts: 352member
    The store is at the old Gap store site, next to Niketown and Sony (excellent location). Apple has torn down the building and is starting from scratch. Here is a page with pictures (old ones):

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/chicagostore.html
  • Reply 5 of 65
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I think I have the most information and it isn't much.

Pepper Construction is doing the job. I know Pepper, my wife worked with them, they're great. Well I was at an event for the son of the guy we know at Pepper and I asked him about it. He doesn't know anything. He does a lot of downtown jobs but isn't on that one. Shit I could have gotten blue prints and finish dates if only ....

This pace is gone. Last time I was there they were still working on the steel of the new place. Putting the floor in. They were working on the weekend a few weeks ago. Not unusual in Chicago. The good thing about Pepper is that they finish on time and do a good job. And I'm not just saying that because they have us to their box at Wrigley either.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Oh ****ing shit that's not the right place. That not Michigan Ave is SoHo. Crap I'll go find the real one.

Okay I fixed it.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    In case anyone is interested, I drove downtown on Saturday and took some pictures of the location.

http://homepage.mac.com/pkatt/PhotoAlbum21.html
  • Reply 8 of 65
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I don't understand why it's so secretive and guarded where an Apple store is being built. Stupid.
  • Reply 9 of 65
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    You know...it's secret because it's secret. Stupid that is, yes. \
  • Reply 10 of 65
    It's not secret. They have an Apple on it and "www.apple.com"
  • Reply 11 of 65
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iDude

P.S.S. Sorry guys. If you've already read this, consider yourself lucky. When I talked to the person at the store, I forgot to ask if I was safe in posting this info. So I emailed him (Albeit after I posted it here), and he just replied and said I could only post this (Which is pretty vague):

1) Building is 4 stories

2) 4th story is theater

3) Will open in mid summer

4) Square footage is larger than both SOHO and LA

Again, I apologize.

Philip

It's this kind of stuff I am talking about. It's a frickin store. The guy at the store says you can only post this? That is so ridiculous.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    I agree that is stupid, but an NDA is an NDA and the last thing I want to do is get someone in trouble. You all should know by now that Apple is super secretive about even the least important things, so it shouldn't come as any suprise that they don't want too much info getting out. It's stupid, but it's reality. Face it.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    Okay who's goin' to the opening? It opens on the 27th which is a friday. Right?
  • Reply 14 of 65
    finally, 2 years in the making! here's the first time i heard about it.

i hope i'm not out of town that weekend.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    The Michigan Avenue store is one of the first Apple store I heard about and saw construction pictures from over a year ago. Did they start over? I'm amazed it wasn't finished long ago.
  • Reply 16 of 65
    I'm told that getting a permit for the Mag' Mile is rather hard. Everyone in the city has their hand in it. Also I heard that Jobs was personally involved in this project. My Pepper construction told me that.
  • Reply 17 of 65
    I snapped a pic of Apple Store Chicago this weekend. It's ****ing cool. Looks like Church of Apple or something like that. I'd send a pic to AI but I'm on PPP right now and PPP sucks too much under OS X to do anything more than surf the web:/

I'll send it tonight. If they don't post it I'll send it to MacNN. Or make Apple Links?
  • Reply 18 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I snapped a pic of Apple Store Chicago this weekend. It's ****ing cool. Looks like Church of Apple or something like that. I'd send a pic to AI but I'm on PPP right now and PPP sucks too much under OS X to do anything more than surf the web:/

I'll send it tonight. If they don't post it I'll send it to MacNN. Or make Apple Links?

Make sure to post it in this topic also. That way we can see it even if they don't post it.
  • Reply 19 of 65
    I tried to send it to [email protected] and it bounced back. Do they know their email address is not working? Maybe they're wondering why they aren't getting any great inside info?

I'd post it myself but I don't have web space.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I tried to send it to [email protected] and it bounced back. Do they know their email address is not working? Maybe they're wondering why they aren't getting any great inside info?

I'd post it myself but I don't have web space.

Email it to me and I'll post it. I have plenty of space.

[email protected]