Anybody know how to 'lock' a homepage?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need help with the following guys:

I have to put two iMacs on a stand at an exhibition to give people access to internet. They will probably be running Mac OS 9.2 and I can use Netscape or Explorer.

I have to set the homepage to a default and I would like to keep it set. Last year people kept changing it (in the browser preferences).

Is there any solution that would allow me do do this?

Using Safari as preferred browser is not an option, although iMacs could be updated to OSX if the solution was easier in X. I do not mind putting on additional or third party software if that would help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Not sure if you can lock the homepage, but you could make a link to the page you want (in X and windows, goto the page then drag the icon at the left of the location bar to the desktop.) then change the icon to make it look like the IE/NS icon, then move/hide all the old IE/NS icon.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    hadrianhadrian Posts: 40member
    That'll still allow access to browser preferences (?)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    I thought iCab (www.icab.de) still had a kiosk mode. I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Can't you go to your browser preferences via the finder and lock the file?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    iCab is definately what you are looking for...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Ok, I totally forgot the name of the software, but some company in Europe I think came up with a companion application for IE in OS 9 that would aide it in doing the kiosk tasks you require. I'd search version tracker for "kiosk". You might find it there. It exists, and it is exactly what you want.