Apple unveils new MacBook Air with M2 processor in multiple colors

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited June 2022
Apple has used WWDC to reveal a major redesign of the MacBook Air, upgrading it to be more in line with the current-gen MacBook Pro range.

Shown as one of the first Macs to be using M2, the update to Apple Silicon, the MacBook Air does away with its traditional thin wedge design in favor of a flatter appearance. Even so, it's still 11.3mm thin and 2.7 pounds. Apple says this is a 20 percent reduction in volume compared to the previous model.

This new 13.6-inch M2 MacBook Air has a Liquid Retina display, seen in older devices such as the 2021 iPad Pro and 2021 MacBook Pro models.

Rumors were partially right about a range of colors, but Apple is offering only four options: Silver, Space Gray, Starlight, and Midnight.

The port selection has been updated, with two Thunderbolt ports joined by a 3.5mm headphone jack with high-impedance headphone support, and the return of MagSafe. This MacBook Air supports Fast Charge to charge the device up to 50 percent in 30 minutes, and customers can buy a 67W USB-C power adapter for this.

Impedance is a measurement of resistance to electrical current. High-impedance headphones can be anywhere from 250 to 600 ohms, which is the term used to describe electrical impedance.

What Apple customers need to know is that high-impedance means high audio quality. In addition, the MacBook Air has a four-speaker sound system. Apple says it brings an audio array with three microphones as well as "advanced beamforming algorithms."

Apple first used the term "beamforming" when it launched the first model of HomePod. Beamforming aims to alter the audio based on the user's environment, such as figuring out which objects in the background absorb or reflect sound.

The NewM2 Chip

Apple's newest custom silicon is the M2 chip. It's an update to the M1 chip and brings an 8-core CPU and a next-generation GPU that can include up to 10 cores. This is two more cores than M1.

The M2 supports up to 24GB of fast unified memory, and Apple specifically mentions workflows such as video editing with a new media engine and new ProRes engine for hardware-accelerated encode and decodes.

The Liquid Retina Display is now a 13.6-inch panel, with support for a billion colors and capable of up to 500 nits of brightness. On the top is a 1080p FaceTime HD camera in a notch, complete with twice the low-light performance of the previous Air.

For customers that want something different, iOS 16 and macOS Venture offer Continuity Camera, so the iPhone can act as a webcam for a Mac.

This new model will be available in July 2022 for $1,199 for customers in the United States.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Any word whether dual external monitors are supported?
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 26
    KBuffettKBuffett Posts: 95member
    Midnight is a welcome addition. 
    I would love a midnight blue iPhone 
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 26
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    That is beautiful. The dark blue is a must-have.
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 26
    NICE!!!!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 26
    apple1991apple1991 Posts: 35member
    The new Midnight color looks beautiful on the MacBook Air
    designrwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 26
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,249member
    They are prettier than the MacBook Pro’s, and they seem to have a really great price/performance ratio.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 26
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    We need detailed M1 and M2 based Macbook Air comparison chart. All good but very slight disappointment of not increasing screen size to 14.1 MBP.
    edited June 2022 9secondkox2AI_lias
  • Reply 8 of 26
    AI_lias said:
    MacBook Air still only supports one external 6K display at up to 60Hz.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 26
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Thanks to whoever removed my post with the incorrect info about multiple screens—I was coming here to admit I was wrong but it’s already gone!
    AI_liasmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 26
    AI_lias said:
    That is what I would like to know as well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 26
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    The M2 packs a bigger punch than I thought it would. Pleasantly surprised. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Was the headline already written assuming all the same color as the 24" iMac?  Those new 'colors' are stretching the concept of "in multiple colors" a just wee bit ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    All the variants of the M2 still to come will be pretty damned powerful that's for sure.  I assume M3 is already in progress too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 26
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,040member
    MacPro said:
    All the variants of the M2 still to come will be pretty damned powerful that's for sure.  I assume M3 is already in progress too.
    Apple probably had a small team working on the M3 before the M2 taped out.

It's not like the Apple Silicon team is going to take the summer off, come back in the fall and sit over beers wondering, "Say, what should we work on next?"
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 26
    wood1208 said:
    We need detailed M1 and M2 based Macbook Air comparison chart. All good but very slight disappointment of not increasing screen size to 14.1 MBP.
    What is wrong with the one on the Mac product page at Apple.com?

https://www.apple.com/mac/

You'll have to scroll down.

If you're still seeking more side-by-side data, you can use the Mac comparison tool right below this table, the same comparison tool they've had for years and years on the site.
    edited June 2022 fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 26
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    My guess is Apple’s break with the past announcing new hardware was due to supply chain issues.

Why pump out older designs using up limited supply when you can pump new models instead? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 26
    larryjw said:
    My guess is Apple’s break with the past announcing new hardware was due to supply chain issues.

Why pump out older designs using up limited supply when you can pump new models instead? 
    The primary reason for the change is that they are no longer at the whim of Intel's CPU release schedule. So if Intel couldn't get a modern process node working for a couple of years, then Apple would have to wait twiddling their thumbs until Intel gets their act together.

There are likely supply chain issues anyhow. We don't know how availability will be when these ship in a month or so. The shipping lead times may balloon dramatically. Apple did not announce any M2 desktop models today (including the Mac mini which doesn't have a display panel) so there's a good chance there is a supply constraint on the new M2 SoC parts.

Smart money would say that the M2 Pro SoC will come in the fall on the MacBook Pro 14" and 16" models.
    edited June 2022 watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 26
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    The lack of dual external monitor support is very disappointing. Yeah, the MBA will drive a 6K screen, but who uses a $1500 laptop with a $6000 (including $1000 stand, thanks Apple) display? It’s a big jump in price, size and weight to the 14" MBP that’ll handle a pair of monitors.
    grandact73williamlondonAI_lias
  • Reply 19 of 26
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    MacPro said:
    Agreed. I think the m2 and variants are and will be a nice upgrade over the M1 lineup. 

However, I think the M3 is where Apple takes the gloves off - spurred by rivals recently igniting the atmosphere in order to compete. 

3nm and lessons already learned from M2 will be more than formidable. 

As it is, the M2 series will be laying the smack down. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 26
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Sure would've liked that Midnight option on my 16" M1 Max.
    watto_cobra