Wireless Bridge Recommendations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Not really sure which forum would suit this thread best, but here goes. I need recomendations on a wireless bridge, preferably from people actually suing one them.

The two I am looking at are the Linksys WET11 and the D-Link DWL-810+, neither of which I am particularly thrilled with.

It needs to be compatible with my PlayStation2 and a Rev1 (Graphite) AirPort Base Station. I am also planning on replacing my ABS with an AirPort Extreme Base Station in the near future, so compatibility with that is also required.

Thanks in advance for any input.

--PB

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by PosterBoy

Not really sure which forum would suit this thread best, but here goes. I need recomendations on a wireless bridge, preferably from people actually suing one them.

The two I am looking at are the Linksys WET11 and the D-Link DWL-810+, neither of which I am particularly thrilled with.

It needs to be compatible with my PlayStation2 and a Rev1 (Graphite) AirPort Base Station. I am also planning on replacing my ABS with an AirPort Extreme Base Station in the near future, so compatibility with that is also required.

Thanks in advance for any input.

--PB

I have used both of them, and i like the DWL-810+ over the linksys. I feel that it has better reception and is moer reliable

zen
  • Reply 2 of 10
    posterboyposterboy Posts: 147member
    Thanks for the info zen!

--PB
  • Reply 3 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The Linksys requires a Windows PC to set-up initially too, which was a pain because I didn't have one at the time and Virtual PC required a lot of handholding to get it done. I haven't used the D-Link, so I have no idea how it's set-up procedures are...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Dlink uses a web interface... very good.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by averagezen

I have used both of them, and i like the DWL-810+ over the linksys. I feel that it has better reception and is moer reliable

Now, that's the one that just plugs into any ethernet device, and bridges the wireless signal, right?

Has anyone used the new D-Link Wireless Range Extender (DWL-800AP+)? Supposedly, it can act as a wireless-to-ethernet bridge, or as simply a repeater of the wireless signal. However, they don't make promises about compatibility with other manufacturers devices.

I want to know if the D-Link range extender can repeat a wireless signal from a Linksys wireless router/access point (since that's what I already have). Anybody tried one?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    If you already have a Linksys, I would go with the WET-11. Keep it all the same and you should have little problem. I have a buddy that is all linksys and he has no problems at all. You don't need a PC to set it up. It does have a web set up as well. My whole house is d-link. I have the DI-614+, DWL-800AP+ and the DWL-810+. Ever since I made it all the same company I have had ZERO problems. Yes the DWL-800AP+ either acts as an access point or a repeater, I'm using mine as a repeater. The DWL-810+ is hooked up to my xbox for xbox live.

Hope this helps.

ZEN
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I'd just like to jump back in here and say thanks again all for the info, please keep it coming.

Also, I'd just like to add to the brand debate and say that the only brand where I have every had any problems mixing other brands with is Linksys. I have sucessfully set up a mix of D-Link, Netgear and Apple stuff without issue but the few times it has been any combination of the above and a Linksys product there have been issues. That said, when I have had all Linksys in one setup it has worked just fine, it is just when there are other products as well that things get screwy, and really, without reason.

Currently I am using a Netgear Router, an ABS (Graphite) as a WAP, and hopefully soon will be adding in a D-Link DWL-810+ for my Playstation Network Adapter, and I don't anticipate any issues (excpt possibly with my encryption setup at first).

Keep the discussion going though, its good stuff.

--PB
  • Reply 8 of 10
    my previous network set up was a netgear wireless router the mr-814 and the linksys wet-11. I had a few problems with lag on the live network. I went to their forum and found that they supported the d-link di-614+ so i decided to redo the network with all d-link products(as mentioned in previous post). I probably should have gone G band but both of my TI Books and my iMac are all the old airport B band so i wouldn't benefit from it any way.

so after that ramble

what i really ment to say was keeping your network equipment the same brand makes for a lot less headaches in the long run.

zen
  • Reply 9 of 10
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Quote:

Originally posted by averagezen

If you already have a Linksys, I would go with the WET-11.

Does the WET-11 act as a repeater? I don't want to have to buy two boxes (bridge + another ap/router) just to extend my wireless range.

Noticed on the D-Link site that they say repeating support with other brands' routers will be added in future firmware upgrades... may be worth the wait.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    just wondering -- has anyone used an airport express as a wireless bridge with a PS2?

i know i can get a cheap wireless bridge for a lot less but the airport express would give me more flexibility. plus i know that set-up with my airport extreme base station would be a snap.

so does it play well with a PS2 running a network adaptor via an ethernet cable?