1Ghz PowerMacs are downclocked 1.25Ghz

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
According to a MacBidouille, the 1Ghz processors in the current bottom of the line PowerMacs are downclocked 1.25Ghz chips. According to the report, the reader removed the heatsink on his 1Ghz SP. As you can see in the picture, the processor reads "RX1250PE", which apparently means that it is a 1.25Ghz PPC 7455 chip.

I'm really itching to buy a new desktop to replace my wife's Rev.A iMac. But with the PPC 970 on the horizon, waiting seems worthwhile.

Escher

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    anyone we know have a 1Ghz box they'd be willing to try this with. could very well be true, i'd just want to hear it from a better source than some shady rumor site.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    not ready to dismantle my powerbook yet..sorry
  • Reply 3 of 16
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Of course, if you have a current 1GHz Mac you are now obliged to overcloxor it. 8)

Do Macs use the same 3 pin fan arrangement as PCs? \
  • Reply 4 of 16
    myahmacmyahmac Posts: 222member
    why cant the 1.25 be an overclocked stable version of the 1.0?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    If the 1.0GHz processors were stable at 1.25GHz they'd leave the foundry as 1.25GHz parts. Also, there is a huge consumer (and legal) backlash if you sell overclocked CPUs and don't tell customers.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    So if you clock your 1GHz up to 1.25GHz is it really overclocking? Maybe we should call it "reclocking" instead.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Apple has done this for YEARS,

Lots of Quadra 630's had underclocked 40mhz 68040's

All the Power Mac 6100/60's were underclocked 66mhz 601's

All the Performa 6400's used 200mhz 603e's even if they only ran at 180mhz

Some 300mhz 9600's had 350 and 375mhz 604e's

Apple also sold lots of G3's and G4's with underclocked CPU's - however because of the slow cache used with them you couldn't clock them to their correct speed. I have a beige G3 with a 333mhz G3, but it won't run above 266mhz because the cache is only rated for 133mhz
  • Reply 8 of 16
    agent69agent69 Posts: 88member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

If the 1.0GHz processors were stable at 1.25GHz they'd leave the foundry as 1.25GHz parts. Also, there is a huge consumer (and legal) backlash if you sell overclocked CPUs and don't tell customers.

Underclocking happens all the time.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    :opens System Prefs, Energy Saver...:

I just underclocked my PowerBook!
  • Reply 10 of 16
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Weird policy, I should say.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    AMD does this so often, they have started scoring their chips with lasers to make it harder to overclock... so people can't buy a cheaper, slower chip and then overclock it...

But of course, G4s are entirely different, since it's not Motorola that is marking them down, it's Apple. \
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Well, I believe it would be overclocking that would be wrong. Underclocking, whatever, but overclocking, you are getting less for your money, when you are promised more....
  • Reply 13 of 16
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    We have one. Brand new.

Anyone want to tell me if there's any danger in removing the heatsink? Corroboration is moments away.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Harald

We have one. Brand new.

Anyone want to tell me if there's any danger in removing the heatsink? Corroboration is moments away.

You may need to reapply some thermal paste, and it will probably void yer warranty.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, what he said above. you should reapply the thermal paste when done, and it will void the warrenty.

however, there's no way they'll be able to tell you took the heatsink off if you put it back on right, so it's not a huge concern.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

yeah, what he said above. you should reapply the thermal paste when done, and it will void the warrenty.

however, there's no way they'll be able to tell you took the heatsink off if you put it back on right, so it's not a huge concern.

No hay pate thermalo.

Bugger.