connecting os x to my 8.6 box

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I want to simply enable file sharing between OS X & 8.6, but the 8.6 computer name does not show up in the connect to server dialog box & if i type in the IP i get an error -36. I have appletalk enabled on both machines. However, I can key in the IP of the OS X box and connect to it from the 8.6 box, but not the other way around.

Any ideas? I'm really frustrated

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    What cable are you using? From my experience: if I have a problem with my little home network, it's almost always a cable. (something with twisted pair or not... I don't know the specifics, but I guess you could try with a new standard CAT-5 ethernet cable).
  • Reply 2 of 3
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

What cable are you using? From my experience: if I have a problem with my little home network, it's almost always a cable. (something with twisted pair or not... I don't know the specifics, but I guess you could try with a new standard CAT-5 ethernet cable).

the cat5 cable tested a-ok to the 6500, and the imac connects with airport. i've discovered that i need to enable a checkbox that says something about tcp / ip in the file sharing control panel in os 8.6: however, that option isn't available to me and i cannot figure out why
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Make sure filesharing is on in each, Sorry I always have to state the obvious first . Next if your not using a hub IE Airport make sure its a cross over cable. If not then make sure its a patch cable and not cross over. Then try connecting with the IP.