I am an idiot... pls help...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
so i was trying to resurrect a *free* B&W "...dead, I am not dead yet" G3 and ended up frying the main scsi drive of my old computer ie smoke came puffing out of a now visibly burned capacitor (or something resembling a capacitor). I am in philly, and I want my data/software back...

does anybody recommend or know of a good data recovery place local to philly or even nationally?

bruce

ps apparently yellow dog linux is capable of resurrecting dead g3s, though the hybrid machine it created cant see new drives or even start up from os 9)

pps if i can get the data back should i continue to play with the b&w?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if you saw stuff burning you're talking about a few thousand dollars to get your data back. ask yourself if it's really worth that much to you.

-alcimedes

if your'e still interested, one of the best places in the nation is here in MN, i'll give you their info.

IIRC it's a few hundred just to look at the drive.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    the hard drive contained all of my work from college (thesis included), applications for md/phd programs and high school...

so if spending 2 grand would allow me to recover my last 9 years of work, so be it...

I am not really worried about the cost, the work was really important to be... if anything i am just really sad that i was stupid enough to let this happen...

i guess i should dish out the money now to get a new hard drive...

let my savings account bleed and let the peon tech companies rejoice in the effluent....

oh dear.

bruce
  • Reply 3 of 6
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by billybobsky

the hard drive contained all of my work from college (thesis included), applications for md/phd programs and high school...

so if spending 2 grand would allow me to recover my last 9 years of work, so be it...

I am not really worried about the cost, the work was really important to be... if anything i am just really sad that i was stupid enough to let this happen...

i guess i should dish out the money now to get a new hard drive...

let my savings account bleed and let the peon tech companies rejoice in the effluent....

oh dear.

bruce

Bruce, I'm terribly sorry about this, and I hate to kick you when you're down - but why on earth didn't you have all these files backed up on CDs, floppies, emailed to a hotmail account accessible from any online computer in the world, etc?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    billybobskybillybobsky Posts: 1,914member
    as in the header.... i am an idiot...

i wasnt connected to the net at the time...

but still....

banging head against wall...

earth shakes on other side....

bruce
  • Reply 5 of 6
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    does the drive still spin up by any chance?

otherwise try these guys. they're excellent.

http://www.ontrack.com/
  • Reply 6 of 6
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Check out Drive Savers when I was a tech I sent off stuff to them a couple of times, from what I remember it wasn't how the drive was destroyed that added up the costs, but how fast you needed it really. Also if you saw smoke from the drive, it could have been the controller card dude, take it to a apple certifed place tell them the disk is extremely valuable, wait wait nevermind because I wouldn't trust them.... heh send it to drive savers, they are national I believe, we airborn'ed everything to them if I recall correctly. Sorry to hear of your story, sadly I hear it all too often, and I remember.. backup of course I never do. heh We should all take this as an omen and back up first chance we get.....