Tivo Desktop Is Here!

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Tivo Desktop is here

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.4.1.asp

Has anybody tried this yet?? Any Success/Problems? I'm in the process of getting the network connector - any suggestions? Is wireless fast enough?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    see other tivo thread. a poster in there has used it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

see other tivo thread. a poster in there has used it.

I only see the press release. No discussion of use of the Home Media Option. Besides which maybe this thread might stay on topic and not degenerate into another US vs THEM thread
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    PC version: 7 mb.

Mac version: 177kb.

I wonder why . . . . The superiority of OS X.

It seems that you have to pay an extra fee to use this service (accourding to the user manual on the Tivo site).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Wow! I upgraded to version 4.0 of the TiVo software last night, purchased the Home Media Option, and hooked my TiVo up to my home network. I am EXTREMELY impressed so far. After plugging in the ethernet cable and installing the tiny TiVo Desktop, I turned on the service in my SysPrefs, and boom, it listed all of my photos and all of my MP3s right there on my TiVo screen!

The music is organized exactly the way it is in iTunes, with the exact same folder structure. On your TV you can browse by genre, album, artist, etc., and it even displays all of your playlists! In fact, although it's not officially supported, I put a few streaming radio stations into a playlist and they worked perfectly! Now I can listen to all my MP3s and internet radio stations on my good stereo in the living room! There is no delay, and the sound quality is fantastic.

Photos are also organized exactly the way they are in iPhoto. You can set up a slide show per album, set the delay between photos, rotate photos, etc., all from the comfort of your living room couch! Very simple interface, and very easy to use.

Remote scheduling needs a little work, but I haven't needed it fully yet. FINALLY TiVo is allowing you to schedule your recordings over the internet. The web interface needs more work, but it works just fine right now.

You can set the TiVo to read as many computers as you have in your house in any room of the house.

So far I'm extremely impressed, especially by the music capabilities. Now I want to go back and rip my music at higher bitrates to take advantage of my Definitive bi-polar speakers!

Anyone else tried the Home Media Option??

--------------

RosettaStoned
  • Reply 5 of 6
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Thankfully, this seems to confirm that Apple will not get into the desk top box thingee. Why bother now?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by RosettaStoned

So far I'm extremely impressed, especially by the music capabilities. Now I want to go back and rip my music at higher bitrates to take advantage of my Definitive bi-polar speakers!

Anyone else tried the Home Media Option??

I'm impressed, too. The experience is really convenient, but the sound quality from the TiVo using my home theater system in no way approaches the digital audio output from my G4 Tower using M-Audio's Sonica USB Audio Adapter. I really wish the TiVo had fiber optic audio output like ReplayTV or there was a way to use the M-Audio Sonica with TiVo's second USB port. There are open source Linux drivers available, but the TiVo Series 2's are not open to user hacking.

Anyways, I got TiVo/HMO yesterday, but still find myself using my T68i cell phone and Sony-Ericsson Clicker to control my iTunes Server simply because the Sonica sounds a million times better.

It's frustrating, but as Dan Quayle once said, "The future will be better tomorrow."