Apple aiming for Sept. 7 to unveil iPhone 14, Apple Watch Series 8

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is reportedly planning on holding its iPhone 14 and Apple Watch Series 8 launch event on Sept. 7, according to a new report.

The September iPhone event will kick off a busy fall product season in 2022. Expected through the end of the year are new iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Pro models, multiple Macs, updated iPads, and a trio of new Apple Watch devices.

As has been the case during the pandemic, Apple is planning on streaming the media event online instead of holding it live and in-person, Bloomberg has reported, citing sources familiar with the matter.

Plans could still change between now and September, but Apple generally aims for debuting new iPhone models in the first half of that month.

A prior report from earlier in August indicated that Apple staff were already filming the next product launch event.

Apple's two iPhone 14 models are expected to introduce incremental changes to the lineup. The 5.4-inch iPhone 14 mini is expected to be replaced by a 6.7-inch model. Rumor has it that the new iPhone 14 models will retain an A15 chipset and display notch, and will mostly include minor updates.

There are more significant changes planned for the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, which are expected to drop the sensor notch in favor of hole-punch and pill-shaped cutouts. The higher-end iPhones are also rumored to have an A16 chipset, significantly improved cameras, and an always-on display.

As far as Apple Watch models -- which the company usually unveils with its iPhones -- Apple is planning on a trio of Apple Watch Series 8 wearables with additional women's health features and a body temperature sensor.

A new "rugged" version of the Apple Watch could include a larger display, more durable case, and additional battery life.

Apple will also likely release iOS 16 and its other software updates sometime after the September keynote event.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    A little bit of a surprise as that’s right after Labour Day and a bit earlier in September than I remember them. OTOH it might mean they have three events this fall and want to space them out a bit. Sept-iPhone, Oct-iPad, Nov-Macs
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    The 5.4-inch iPhone 14 mini is expected to be replaced by…”

Umm, there is no such product as an iPhone 14 mini, so I don’t see how it could be replaced. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 11
    tokyojimu said:
    “The 5.4-inch iPhone 14 mini is expected to be replaced by…”

Umm, there is no such product as an iPhone 14 mini, so I don’t see how it could be replaced. 
    The iPhone SE with a 4.7 inch screen being replaced by a 6.7 inch screen? That is a large bump in screen size. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    If there is an iPhone Mini 14, I will buy it again!  Love this iPhone size!
    entropysgordy
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I don’t think Apple will release a new lineup of iPhone with 2 different A chip. Sure there is SE but it is not the same product line. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    A Wednesday?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    A Wednesday?
    That’s the other reason this is a bit of a surprise. But with Monday being Labour Day it might just have pushed it back a day. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    With the virtual versus live audience format the concern about reporters' and analysts' traveling so close to Labor Day is eliminated.  That's one point of support for why Apple would shift the date earlier in Sept.  Extra revenue in the quarter, an expanding product line requiring more events and more time to ramp production and sell-through in a still production/constrained post-pandemic world are other reasons to kick off the season as early as possible.  Given all this, I'm on board with believing this rumor is true.  Looking forward to seeing how the autumn plays out. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Wednesday is still weird. Apple always has their September events in a Tuesday. I still think it’ll be the 13th. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    viclauyyc said:
    I don’t think Apple will release a new lineup of iPhone with 2 different A chip. Sure there is SE but it is not the same product line. 
    iPhone 14 will probably have the A15 with the extra GPU core featured in the iPhone 13 Pros - the iPhone 14 Pros will probably have the A16 SoC, possibly with a denser mask size of 3nm or 4nm. This will be an additional differentiator between the regular and pro lines.

I'd expect (especially with the semiconductor shortage crisis) that yields on the denser node are not as good as the N5P node, and TSMC just can't make enough A16s for the entire lineup.
    h4y3slolliverradarthekatwatto_cobra