Apple releases iOS 15.6.1, iPadOS 15.6.1, watchOS 8.7.1 with bug fixes and security patche...

Posted:
in iOS edited August 2022
Apple has released iOS 15.6.1 and iPadOS 15.6.1 with important security patches for potentially exploited vulnerabilities alongside a watchOS 8.7.1 bug fix update.

iOS 15.6.1 and iPadOS 15.6.1 are available to download
iOS 15.6.1 and iPadOS 15.6.1 are available to download

This is the first set of updates since July 20 for iOS and iPadOS. Recent updates haven't contained any significant changes since iOS 16 and the other operating systems are currently going through beta testing and likely take priority.

Apple provided some details about security patches included in the update. Reports indicate the patches may have been actively exploited, so users are urged to update as soon as possible.

One kernel vulnerability enabled an application to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges. An out-of-bounds write issue was addressed with improved bounds checking. Reported under CVE-2022-32894 by an anonymous researcher.

One WebKit vulnerability enabled processed maliciously crafted web content to lead to arbitrary code execution. An out-of-bounds write issue was addressed with improved bounds checking. Reported under CVE-2022-32893 by an anonymous researcher and under WebKit Bugzilla 243557.

The build number for iOS 15.6.1 and iPadOS 15.6.1 is 19G82, up from 19G71. The build number for watchOS 8.7.1 is 19U67, up from 19U66.

Apple announced iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and watchOS 9 during WWDC with a range of new features including new customization options and multitasking features. Apple is expected to release the iOS 16 and watchOS 9 updates in September with iPadOS 16 launching later in the fall.

The new updates will install overnight for users who haven't disabled automatic updates. Anyone who wants to get the update right away can open the Settings app, tap "General," then select "Software Update" to begin the update process.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Watch 8.7.1 not updating on this part of the East Coast.
    JaiOh81MBearwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Nothing here in Arkansas for Watch 8.7.1 @ 3:57 PM CST.

And yes, people in Arkansas know how to tell time.../s
    edited August 2022 MBearkiehtanwatto_cobraAnilu_777
  • Reply 3 of 7
    This update is ONLY for Apple Watch Series 3 - so no other watches are updated at this time.  The update fixes a reboot issue that only occurred with some Series 3 watches.
    JaiOh81MBearright_said_fredNoFliesOnMemaltzkiehtanwatto_cobraAnilu_777
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Thank you for the watch update clarification.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,049member
    Saw these headlines in the stock and business news section today, when checking on the stock market to see how my portfolio is holding up and to see whether there's any news that might cause me to consider making any changes to it.

Apple admits major security risk for iPhones, iPad and iMacs

Apple warns of security flaw for iPhones, iPads and Macs

Update your devices: Apple discloses serious security vulnerabilities for iPhones, iPads and Macs

iOS update: Apple releases urgent new versions of iPhone, Mac and iPad operating system to fix security bug

My first thought was ..... I better get over to  AI so not to miss the entertainment from the usual Apple trolls about ....... how Apple no longer cares about their customers ...... Apple is a shoddy company for writing such shoddy software ..... security on an iPhone is no better than a phone running Android  .....quality control is taking a nose dive and they should be a shame of themselves for charging so much for their products ....... funny how Apple iOS is getting more like Google Android, while Google Android is getting more like Apple iOS ...... I thought Macs were suppose to be immune to malware and viruses ...... this proves Apple is lying when they say they care about security and only using it as an excuse to maintain their monopoly .... etc. etc..

And what happened when I got here to read about it ..... in yesterdays AI news? Nothing, na da, zilch, goose egg, zip, squat, nil, zero. Not a troll post in sight. Bareely any post about it at all.  It seems it was not a big deal, just a regular run of the mill security update. Then i realized I was fooled by the market manipulators that probably saw AAPL run up too fast and are now trying to drop it down a notch or two, so their clients can get in at lower price. Or temper their losses from AAPL going any higher, when options expires tomorrow.  

edited August 2022 watto_cobraAnilu_777
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I was hoping for another watch update for my series 6. I thought the last update fix the torch mode, which lead to burned out screens, but no it did not. Still goes super bright after taking it off the charger and won’t stop until I tap the screen.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    emoeller said:
    This update is ONLY for Apple Watch Series 3 - so no other watches are updated at this time.  The update fixes a reboot issue that only occurred with some Series 3 watches.
    Thank you. My friends and family have been checking again and again for the WatchOS update since I saw this. AI needs to be more exact in their reporting.