New Cocoa Text Capabilities in 10.3 = LiveFont?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
LiveType, part of the Final Cut Pro suite, makes use of a new type of font format called LiveFonts.

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/fonts.html

Could this be the new Cocoa text capabilities rumored in 10.3 or does Apple have even more surprises?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    jaredjared Posts: 639member
    I highly doubt it since there is no release date for Panther (just a build given to developers at WWDC) and Final Cut Pro 4 is do out in June...

Nice thought though
  • Reply 2 of 27
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jared

I highly doubt it since there is no release date for Panther (just a build given to developers at WWDC) and Final Cut Pro 4 is do out in June...

Nice thought though

Well...Apple specifically says that 'new Cocoa text' features/abilities in 10.3 will be presented at the WWDC. So whether ActiveFile media is it or not...I don't care. But you haven't really read the page have you?

If this ain't the 'new Cocoa text' feature, I'll eat my hat and yours while performing a tap dance for you all.

ActiveFile will certainly find it's way into the Cocoa framework and be available to the rumored Apple iOffice suite. And I say this with 99.99% certainty. Mark my words!
  • Reply 3 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    What would you do with these, or with ActiveFile stuff in general? While we're at it, what does ActiveFile comprise, or really what are the parameters of such a format?

I guess I could imagine some subtle text things for the system to do (alert text flashing or highlighting, etc.), or better yet, just leave it up to the third-party Cocoa apps to find some uses. I'm sure Omni and Stone wouldn't mind inheriting this sort of thing.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

What would you do with these, or with ActiveFile stuff in general? While we're at it, what does ActiveFile comprise, or really what are the parameters of such a format?

I guess I could imagine some subtle text things for the system to do (alert text flashing or highlighting, etc.), or better yet, just leave it up to the third-party Cocoa apps to find some uses. I'm sure Omni and Stone wouldn't mind inheriting this sort of thing.

For one...it's extensible. It is by no means limited to LiveFont. LiveFont is a part of ActiveFile and will be great for things like text documents (that aren't meant for printing), Keynote presentations, webpages (although we won't see this for quite a few years I'm sure).

ActiveFile will also allow little animations or movies other than fonts. This could be neat for some things.

This file format is really just a 'wow' feature. I don't see it stopping the war with Iraq, or curing cancer or eliminating the SARS virus. But for things such as Keynote presentations, webpages, and movie editing...this stuff is really cool.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Well...Apple specifically says that 'new Cocoa text' features/abilities in 10.3 will be presented at the WWDC. So whether ActiveFile media is it or not...I don't care. But you haven't really read the page have you?

If this ain't the 'new Cocoa text' feature, I'll eat my hat and yours while performing a tap dance for you all.

ActiveFile will certainly find it's way into the Cocoa framework and be available to the rumored Apple iOffice suite. And I say this with 99.99% certainty. Mark my words!

While I see how it maybe a possibility, my point is that Mac OS 10.3 will not ship until after Final Cut Pro 4 ships. If I can use Final Cut Pro 4 in Mac OS 10.2 with LiveFont/ActiveFile why would it be apart of Mac OS 10.3?

Unless Apple made the LiveFont/ActiveFile API spec available to the public, if that is what you meant?

On the other hand, isn't LiveFont/ActiveFile just Apple's new name for the text company they (India Graphics I think it was?) acquired? Why would that, be something that developers will be able to adopt? I would think they would want to keep it in the Pro suit, so it will be a reason to buy Apple products versus, say Avid...

I am not to clear on your logic on this but I do think it would be very cool, I just do not see it as happening. I am willing to fully come fourth if I am wrong and kiss up
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

While I see how it maybe a possibility, my point is that Mac OS 10.3 will not ship until after Final Cut Pro 4 ships. If I can use Final Cut Pro 4 in Mac OS 10.2 with LiveFont/ActiveFile why would it be apart of Mac OS 10.3?

Unless Apple made the LiveFont/ActiveFile API spec available to the public, if that is what you meant?

I'm pretty sure that's what he means, I think. The LiveFonts will be available system-wide. Maybe other advantages of the technology will be used in Panther. I'm sure we'll also see this in Keynote ASAP.

You said it.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    ensoniqensoniq Posts: 131member
    Where is the 100% certainty coming from that Panther will ship AFTER Final Cut Pro 4?

Apple's new video production software ship dates: Late June/Early July

Apple's move of WWDC to show off Panther: Late June

PowerMac 970 availability based on current rumors: Late June/Early July

I'm not seeing any reason to believe that it's not at least POSSIBLE that WWDC is going to be a far bigger event than we even imagine.

-- Ensoniq
  • Reply 8 of 27
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond.

• Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensoniq

Where is the 100% certainty coming from that Panther will ship AFTER Final Cut Pro 4?

Apple's new video production software ship dates: Late June/Early July

Apple's move of WWDC to show off Panther: Late June

Final Cut Pro will be shipping in June. WWDC will only show a preview of Panther, and give out developer builds, not GM copies.

Another question for you, if this is going to be a system wide thing, that developers cannot adopt, etc, etc. how come it is not in DVD Studio Pro 2.0, and Shake 3.0? Wouldn't this be something you would want to put into your DVD projects?
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Final Cut Pro will be shipping in June. WWDC will only show a preview of Panther, and give out developer builds, not GM copies.

Another question for you, if this is going to be a system wide thing, that developers cannot adopt, etc, etc. how come it is not in DVD Studio Pro 2.0, and Shake 3.0? Wouldn't this be something you would want to put into your DVD projects?

Maybe it is? Who knows. All I know is that right now is that only the LiveType app in the FCP suite makes use of LiveFont. I'm assuming this is to allow 10.2 users to make use of LiveFont.

But I'm pretty sure this is going to be moved into the Cocoa framework for any Cocoa apps to use (and thus DSP2, a Cocoa app, will be able to make use of these fonts natively in 10.3.)

Is there any reason why this shouldn't be part of the Cocoa framework by 10.3?

edit: actually the only I can think of is just to make i exclusive to FCP...I suppose if it's available system-wide, the LiveType app won't look so hot anymore.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Wouldn't this be something you would want to put into your DVD projects?

DSP is not for creating media for dvds. It is a program used to stitch together media that you already have, therefore it would have no use for any live font features
  • Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

edit: actually the only I can think of is just to make i exclusive to FCP...I suppose if it's available system-wide, the LiveType app won't look so hot anymore.

LiveType is pretty exclusive to video. There are other ways, simpler ways, the technology could be adopted on a system-wide basis.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

DSP is not for creating media for dvds. It is a program used to stitch together media that you already have, therefore it would have no use for any live font features

I disagree with that. Watch a few DVDs, the text in the menus, is static and boaring. LiveType would liven it up.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    haraldharald Posts: 2,152member
    What a great piece of technology.

As you were.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    LiveFont? ActiveFile? Sounds like Apple hired MS´s naming guy.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    You just get on your knees and thank the Gods they didn't name it Fonts Extreme!
  • Reply 17 of 27
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

You just get on your knees and thank the Gods they didn't name it Fonts Extreme!

• Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

I disagree with that. Watch a few DVDs, the text in the menus, is static and boaring. LiveType would liven it up.

you misunderstand me. have you used dvd studio pro?? it does nothing to create media Nothing. all it does is allow you to bring in images, audio, and video, and then allows you to stitch them together. If you are working with any text in any menus, it is already a bitmapped file beacuse you created it in photoshop already.

It would be entirely possible to make animated text menus using final cut pro by exporting it as a movie loop.

also, even if you could add livefont to a dvd menu, how would my grandma's 80$ mintek dvd player know what to do with it? its simply not in the spec to begin with.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

you misunderstand me. have you used dvd studio pro?? it does nothing to create media Nothing. all it does is allow you to bring in images, audio, and video, and then allows you to stitch them together. If you are working with any text in any menus, it is already a bitmapped file beacuse you created it in photoshop already.

It would be entirely possible to make animated text menus using final cut pro by exporting it as a movie loop.

also, even if you could add livefont to a dvd menu, how would my grandma's 80$ mintek dvd player know what to do with it? its simply not in the spec to begin with.

But why bring it in as a movie when it could just be native and then convert it to a movie file. Much like iDVD encodes any QuickTime file to MPEG 2.

Asking how a DVD player would reconise it is absurd as I could just ask, how would your television recognize LiveType if it was used on say a television show?
  • Reply 20 of 27
    you are misunderstanding what i mean. When you want to make a dvd video disc, you make EVERYTHING in a different program. All of your video files would be made in fcp or after effects if you prefer, INCLUDING the menus. All of your still images would be made in photoshop. You then bring them in to DVDSP and link them together. This is the apps sole purpouse. Linking and programming items on the disc.

you mentioned creating titles and exporting them as mpeg2; This is FCP's job, not DVDSP