Tabbing between Windows

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Is there a way to tab between the different windows of a browser if they are not on a tabbed browser? For example, (don't flame me for this), on Apple's, alt-tab goes between programs but you cannot go between individual windows of one program say IE. Windows you can alt-tab between these. I am just curious. I am slowly converting to using all tabbed browsers but this was just one of those things that was bugging me.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Cmd-tab between apps.

Cmd-~ between windows *within* an app.

Lets you cycle between windows inside an app without jumping from app to app ala Windows.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Cmd-tab between apps.

Cmd-~ between windows *within* an app.

Lets you cycle between windows inside an app without jumping from app to app ala Windows.

Thank you so much. That was driving me crazy and I knew there had to be a way to do it.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Also, hold shift to cycle *backwards* through the apps and windows.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    jpp1cdjpp1cd Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Also, hold shift to cycle *backwards* through the apps and windows.

I knew how to shift through programs. I just didn't know about shifting through individual windows of a specific program. Thanks though.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    be careful saying "Tabs", Eugene might be listening....

• Reply 6 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Took me a couple of months to find command~ and even then on the web. I think it highlights how much the Mac OS X help sucks.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    And using a non US keyboard (well, most non US keyboards) the shortcuts are cmd-< and cmd-> for cycling through windows.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jpp1cd

Is there a way to tab between the different windows of a browser if they are not on a tabbed browser?

jpp1cd: If you want more control over switching between applications system-wide and between windows within individual applications, you should check out Michael Kamprath's Keyboard Maestro. I started using Michael's Application Switcher with OS 6 or 7. Keyboard Maestro, which is OS X only, is significantly more powerful and useful.

Escher