ADC, DVI, VGA -- What's with all these connectors?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm looking at getting a new PowerMac in the next few months, but I'm confused as hell as to why Apple has done what they have with their display connectors.

Correct me if I'm wrong: ADC is a proprietary connector that carries a digital signal and USB that Apple created itself for only its displays. DVI is a more universal connector that carries a digital signal too, but can't carry USB like the ADC. VGA is the old analog video signal.

Here's my confusion: If ADC can do it all, why not have NVidea and these other companies provide Apple with graphics cards with 2 ADC connectors? If someone wanted a DVI or VGA, couldn't they get an ADC to DVI/VGA adapter? Right now it seems like a waste to me to have to buy an adapter if you want to use more than one of Apple's OWN DISPLAYS! Doing it "my" way would make it a sort of punishment to NOT use Apple's displays, not the other way around. Catch my drift?

I...I'm cranky and need to go to bed. Please help me out, ya'll.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well the idea is to have a choice... most people don't have 2 displays... and those that do more often then not the 2nd display is an older one that is not being used... having a DVI and ADC connections on the same card makes sense... although ADC ->dvi/vga adapters are much less expensive then DVI->adc adapters..
  • Reply 2 of 2
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Apple did create the ADC connector, but I don't think it's proprietary since Formac also sells displays that have ADC connectors. My guess is that it may cost more to make the ADC stuff vs. DVI on the video cards, but I could be completely wrong.