FTP server program ?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is there an FTP server program out there, that can handle multiple users relatively well ?

I've tried CrushFTP but that program is quite unorganized.....

thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    System Preferences -> Sharing.

• Reply 2 of 10
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Arrgh, the standard FTP-sharing!

After being sick and tired of not being able to configure the sharing at all, risking that PC-users would go to the root of the server, and discover that they had all of my data availiable (just check it, I almost had some directories deleted/****ed up by some users, even though they had no admin-rights). I stopped using it, and started using Rumpus, which is another lousy ftp-server. It's slow, it takes up enormous amounts of CPU-cycles, and has a horrible, ugly OS 9 GUI. But it allows me to configure it pretty well, and my data is at least safe from others.

So... I don't know what to recommend, Rumpus is $299 software, and the build-in demon is free, and they both suck IMO...
  • Reply 3 of 10
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    you would have to set up user accounts on your computer if you used OS X's sharing. Which is quite cumbersome & inefficient. [to me @ least]

rumpus was the other one, but I felt crush was slightly better, even though i never really got crush to work properly
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

you would have to set up user accounts on your computer if you used OS X's sharing. Which is quite cumbersome & inefficient. [to me @ least]

Egg-xactly what I did, and it's not suitable for me at all. Insecure, and not very cozy.

Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

rumpus was the other one, but I felt crush was slightly better, even though i never really got crush to work properly

I'll download and test Crush the moment I get home! Excelent featureset (advertised set at least), and 4.5 stars at VT on average seldom fails. I'm willing to do quite a bit of configuring, trying and failing, to get something else than the lousy piece of unworthy software Rumpus is.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    You actually have one of the best ftp servers at your fingertips. However, like a lot of these more advanced services, apple has stuck a really shit front end config utility on the front.

Open ya teminal, and type "man ftpd". Specifically you want to pay close attention to the sections relating to ftpusers, and ftpchroot.

Just as a quick explination, the ftpusers file lets you grant access to users - these users dont even need a full system login if I recall correct.

ftpchroot changes what that user then sees as the root of the server. Normally you would change this to /Users/joe, for example. Then when joe enters "cd /" he is taken to /Users/joe. As far as this session is concerned, there are NO other directories higher up!!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Yep, the server daemon works beautifully, and is fast, but as you say, the front-end is useless(!) to me...

And I've tried 'man ftpd', but it just confused me even more. I found few of the files the manual described, and in any way I'd do it, I would have ended up with something very ugly and confusing, for a guy thats used to having a nice GUI...

I'm willing to trade off some CPU cycles to get a pretty, and usable GUI for configuring myself a secure, nice FTP-server!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    I've been waiting since 10.0 for someone to write a nice GUI for the included server... is it that hard?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Aw'right, I installed CrushFTP yesterday, and it seems like some very customizable and well-working software. The problem with it is that the GUI is horribly ugly, buggy, and messed up. It almost looks like a windows-app, just a little worse actually. The server is very configurable, and has more options and settings than I ever thought could be possible. That's good, but it's camouflaging the important functions like those that lets it work properly. I haven't been able to test the server too thoroughly, but it doens't behave as nicely and problem-free as Rumpus did. For example, clients can't browse it (but they can connect fine) from outside the NAT router, unlike with Rumpus.

When I solve that problem, I think Crush is a very good piece of FTP-server software. In service-mode, it takes up minimal amounts if CPU-cycles, and is invisible, which is quite pleasant, since I'm used to having both the terminal, and the Rumpus application open and in the way.

I'll have to test it more thoroughly after school today

Quote:

Originally posted by Haddock.

I've been waiting since 10.0 for someone to write a nice GUI for the included server... is it that hard?

Maybe you should try and do it yourself, noone else seems to write anything I've also been waiting!
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

Maybe you should try and do it yourself, noone else seems to write anything I've also been waiting!

I would, but haven't written any application in years. There have to be at least five people on this forum who could do it in less than two hours...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Dude! Brad, how did you do this:

8)