1GHz 17"iMacs or PowerMacs for DV

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Are the 1ghz iMacs sufficiently equipped to handle the requirements of digital video production (AfterEffects, Final Cut Pro etc...) or is better to use a PowerMac tower?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Yes, the iMac would be able to do these tasks.

But...

If you are serious I would consider a powermac. If you have the extra cash- get a powermac. You'll be able to add more hard drives for more starage and it would be cheaper. Also the powermac has better performance. Get a dual w/ the 20" if you are serious.

If not- iMac 17" would be a fine machine for this.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    if you are serious you will probably be buying a new machine every 3 to 5 years. So it is possible that an iMac will work fine if you are just a prosumer starting out.

The only problem with the iMac is that it does not have the new firewire 800 port.

Firewire 800 will become a required standard for video producers and all high end content managers in the next couple of years. So if you buy an iMac, you may be buying a new computer that has firewire 800 in two years or less.

Firewire 800 is available now on the Powermac G4 and the Powerbook 17.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JC

Firewire 800 is available now on the Powermac G4 and the Powerbook 17.

Good points. While I doubt a new 15"PB will have as high a resolution as the 17"iMac, hopefully it'll also come with FW800.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    the 15 PowerBook inch has 1280x854

the 17 PowerBook inch has 1440X900

the 15 iMac inch iMac has 1024X768

the 17 iMac inch iMac has 1440X900

and I would expect the powerbook update to maintain the sam rez as the current model.

If you are going to be filiming, I recommend a powerbook. the only real advantage a desktop has is that its rendering time is better because of the duel processors. PCI slots will become less of an issue as there will be firewire 800 alternatives for most video needs.

I am buying the 17inch powerbook

and I am keeping my Duel 500 desktop for scanning and printing