Powerbook G4 800 or 867?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I am in the market for a Powerbook for summer school abroad. Can anyone help me with these questions?

1. Powerbook G4 15? refurbished

Which Powerbook G4 should I get? The 800 or 867??

Are the 800 and 867 basically the same but just configured differently? The 800 addresses my needs perfectly but is it too old?

What?s the difference between the two revisions besides the obvious? I need to know if the 867 has improvements over the 800.

I know that the new 15? will be launched soon but I need a laptop by May 2003.

2. Memory

What?s the difference between Kensington and Small Dog branded?

What?s the difference between DDR, SO, Dimm, PC 133. PC 2100, PC 2700 etc?

What do I need for the laptop and why?

Why are some 516mb about the same price as the 256mb and others are twice the cost. HELP!

Thanks Y'all.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    This will probably get moved to general discussion, but...

1. They are basically the same. The 867 has a slightly faster processor and a faster video controller. You are unlikely to see a major difference in performance.

2. The difference between Small Dog and Kensington RAM depends on who manufactures the RAM they use. It could be the same, or it could be a major difference in quality. Crucial RAM is regarded as being high quality, as is Kingston...but you pay for the peace of mind with a higher price tag. Whatever RAM you buy, make sure it has a warrenty so that you can exchange it if problems occur.

You can learn more about RAM on the Crucial website (but be warned that they'll spend a lot of time telling you why theirs is worth more money).
  • Reply 2 of 2
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Other than the minor differences in processor speed and video performance, you also have to take into account that the 800 MHz was the high end at the time, and came with an Airport card as standard equipment. They have the same size hard drive (the 667/800 line had 30 and 40 GB, and the 867/1000 line has 40 and 60 GB). However, also remember that the 800 MHz versions will be out of warranty sooner, while a new 867 MHz one will have a full year of warranty protection. Just make sure to take into account all the minor differences that don't show up on statistics sheets.