The New OpenGL- and G4-optimized SNES9X "Custom"

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Someone in Japan took that original Carbon SNES9X port and has evolved it, using the magic of open-source. This new version is optimized for the G4 and doesn't screw with your resolution, using Quartz to simply scale the image to full screen. The performance and threading is also very much improved.

Check it out: http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconVa...60/snes9x.html

It looks especially gorgeous in wide-screen.

EDIT: Rofl, wrong forum. You see, it's because I was originally in the software forum, and I clicked on the moved 10.2.5 topic, and then I decided to post this new topic, and it screwed me all up...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Hmm. Much improved.

I'd tried this guy's tweaked SNES9X before, but this update from April 7th is just phenomenal. Wow. I mean, just, wow.

oh yeah, moving to software.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    The OpenGL stretch is really awesome. OpenGL + 2xSaI is cool stuff. But the biggest improvement in the latest version is the inclusion of DreamSNES code which emulates the chips used by MegaMan X2 and X3. This may not mean much to some of you but MegaMan X2 and X3 support has been lacking since forever since the PC emulators that did support it had it coded in x86 assembly which was near impossible to port without a complete rewrite.

But there's lots of things in SNES9x Custom that beat the pants off Stiles' version: Multitap (4-player fun in Bomberman), Superscope, various tweaks and optimizations, windowed-mode, support to save to your home folder's Application Support (allowing multiple people using your computer to have their own save files etc...)...the list goes on.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    The version number is confusing and the app itself doesn't even tell you its version in About. However, this is almost the perfect SNES emulator!
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Now it just needs netplay! Too cool.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Now it just needs netplay! Too cool.

It's probably not going to happen. All developers run into the same problem when they try to implement netplay for console emulators: lag.

The console games were created with 0 latency in mind. But even on a good internet day, you can't get 0 lag. Because of this problem, any lag would throw a console game out of sync.

The only half decent network game you'd be able to play would be on a local network...and even then, anything that may cause a bit of lag on the network would throw your game out of sync.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    This roxXors! My personal fav game is Cybernator (english) aka Assault Suits Valken (japanese).

Re-living the old skool!
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

It's probably not going to happen. All developers run into the same problem when they try to implement netplay for console emulators: lag.

The console games were created with 0 latency in mind. But even on a good internet day, you can't get 0 lag. Because of this problem, any lag would throw a console game out of sync.

The only half decent network game you'd be able to play would be on a local network...and even then, anything that may cause a bit of lag on the network would throw your game out of sync.

Well I've played snes9x over long distances successfully. I'm sure there are methods in networks to sync the two systems, can't be impossible.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Well I've played snes9x over long distances successfully. I'm sure there are methods in networks to sync the two systems, can't be impossible.

Doubtful. What kind of connection did you have?

I'm not saying you're a liar. It *is* possible to play a game over the internet...but any lag whatsoever will ruin a game.

I suppose the two emulators could pause the emulation the moment the constant stream of packets is interrupted and resume afterwards...but, I believe, even that can't guarantee maintaining sync between both emulators.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    It was cable to cable, long time back. But yeah I do see your point, because the game itself isn't designed to send any synchronization code. I'm puzzled, I can't think of a good way the two can synch in game... Perhaps one host can be a server and recieve keys from both players and update the state of the game to the other players (via the saved snes ram)? Though that doesn't seem too feasible for slow connections, as each saved state is ~150K...

Never really encountered synch issues though. Not sure what snes9x does through netsprockets to synch, if it does at all. It has to be doing something though...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dankdank Posts: 31member
    Has anybody been able to get Mario Kart to work properly? I know its been the one game that never has worked right, but at the same time, it's one of the best SNES games EVER! It will work for a few seconds on this newest release of SNES9X but then it just quits....and it won't let me pick up any items. Anybody else have any luck or is this just something that will never work?