Stockholders: How are you voting?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just got my proxy this week.

Anybody out there writing any exceptions in the Directors' vote?

How about the proposals, any thoughts there?

approve an ammendment to the ESP to increase common stock shares by 4,000,000 units

roll the 97 plan into the 98 plan, a plan for ALL employees (anybody catch the part where Steven P. Jobs cancelled the 27.5 million options he had as CEO?)

keep KPMG LLP as auditors

consider the shareholder proposal to begin expensing the Company's stock options from here on out (Apple's squirming on this one)...still not sure how I feel about this one

"to transact such other business as may properly come before the meeting and any postponement(s) or adjournment(s) thereof"

WHAT DOES #6 MEAN?

I've never seen this on any of my proxy statments before....weird.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but I usually don't vote in those things. I'd be an uneducated voter and that's worse than an abstainer. One day I'll learn to read (and care) about that stuff. Right now, I'm just a guy who had some extra money I wanted to put into a fruit company and Apple was first on the list.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    I don't usually vote on these things either, but I felt like making a statement this time, so I did.

I voted against Al Gore. Republicrats rub me the wrong way.

I voted for #5. It might be "bad" for the appearance of the balance sheet (not sure), but I'm more pissed off about this whole Steve & options thing.

I voted against #3, because what I think they're trying to do here is strengthen the executives' stock plan at the expense of the employee's. I don't remember the exact logic I used, as I did this a while ago and tossed the info, but there was something suspicious about having both of them come from the same "pool" of grantable options. I think everybody's for granting regular employees some options, but there's been weird executive option granting going on. If they both come from the same pool, then (1) executives could "steal" a lot of the employees' options, and (2) future increases in the amount of grantable options would be easier to pass, since "the employees deserve it" or somesuch.

KPMG, sure, whatever.

I don't remember #2, probably for if it involves employees, against if it was executives.

I think #6 is just regular bookkeeping stuff. I seem to recall seeing it all the time.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Well, arn't you an angry young man.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alexander

I voted against Al Gore.

I also voted against Gore. He doesn't add anything to the board. I see his appointment as a political favor of some sort.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Wouldn't it be funny if he lost this election too?

• Reply 6 of 11
    futuremacfuturemac Posts: 242member
    i voted in support of their proposals
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Gore exists partly to address recent criticisms of the incestuous nature of Apple's board (and other boards) as a bunch of CEO's serving on each others committees.

I will vote for Gore...I may vote against Drexler, as he helped drive The Gap into the ground.

I will vote for all items, including #5, the expensing of options (against the recommendation of the board). I wish I could use all my votes on that one item. It would be nice to apply some accountability to the way this board of directors handles options.

The item #6 is procedural. Some people vote against it to prevent any business from being transacted without sufficient advance notice. It comes up on a lot of proxy statements.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    david rdavid r Posts: 135member
    I also voted againt Gore in the proxy.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I haven't seen my proxy statement yet. I will probably vote for all the proposals. I will vote for Al Gore. He will be good for Apple. I will vote no on Bill Campbell as I have in the past. Not that it has made any difference.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Does Apple need the stockholders approval to make the Viendi purchase?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Yes they will.