How can I copy something into the QuickTime folder in System/Libary?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I dont' have "permission." A) I'm the frickin' only user and thus Admin. B) I changed the root password to my Admin password with a trick I saw a long time ago in netinfo utility. C) I logged in as root in Terminal and cp would've worked but I'm trying to copy .component so cp can't understand it and says its not a file or something. Help! There should be a way around this permissions stuff in Aqua.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    The best answer to your question is "Don't." The only stuff that should go in /System is Apple-installed software. Anything you're adding that you want to have system-wide access to should go in /Library/QuickTime . It's the same functionally, but admin has write access to it and it won't screw up any future upgrades you try.

If common sense and good advice be damned you MUST put things into /System, go to terminal, preface your cp / CpMac / ditto command with 'sudo', and be prepared to enter your admin password, and use the -R flag as appropriate (cp -R myComponent.component /System/Library/QuickTime).

But again, unless you REALLY need to put it in /System and could explain why to another person, DON'T. /Library will work just the same and without terminal futzing. Honestly, those permissions ARE there for a reason.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    As Dr. Pweent said, don't. You should have no reason to use /System/Anything, save for drivers and hAx0ring.

If you must, go into the terminal and type "sudo cp <drag file from finder> /System/Library/QuickTime"

Barto
  • Reply 3 of 4
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    /System/Library/ <== System. DON'T touch it. Whether you're the friggin' only user or one amongst thousands.

/Library/ <== User-independent. DO touch it when you're the admin and A) there are no other users B) the others users won't be annoyed.

~/Library/ <== User-dependent. Touch it whenever you want.

/Network/Library/ <== Touch it when you own the network.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    "But I'm the only user!"

Look at it this way... /System is Apple's domain to play in - you can be assured that anything they put in there is from an installer, can be reinstalled from their OS installer and updaters, and *you don't have to back it up*. Seriously. /System is completely and utterly user-maintenance free. No prefs are stored in there, nothing. (Frankly, I'd love to see it be a read-only subvolume so you couldn't have it corrupted even if the disk drivers went nuts.)

As long as you leave /System alone, it's completely trouble-free and a huge chunk of the installed OS that you never have to worry about.

Use /Library or ~/Library for stuff you install.

(And developers who install in /System should be shot, drawn and quartered, flayed, and hung... not necessarily in that order.)