Mac Buying Advice

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hello!

First time posting on these boards but I want some buying advice.

My uncle has decided to step into the 21st Century and is looking at getting a computer. At the mo, and not being detrimental to him, he does not know how to switch one on, this is how much of a novice he is.

I have showed him the wonders of OS X but he is of the mind that there is only Windows OS for computers. I have told him that OS X is better, easier to use etc. Even the build quality of Apple machines is better (my trusty iMac 266 outliving three of my friends Windows machines). + he gets unlimited tech support from me!

Which brings me to question time:

I am currently trying to persuade him that an eMac is perfect for what he needs. Has anybody got any idea if this machine is going to be/will be updated soon?

And while I am posting, I heard that there was a problem with some eMacs regarding the screen (raster effect?). Has this been sorted out?

To cut this short before it becomes an essay, I'd appreciate any comments/thoughts on eMacs? User experience etc.

Thanks!

Donny

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    1) I have no idea if the eMac will be updated in a month, two months, three or four or five. It's really impossible to tell with Apple. If it is for someone who doesn't know how to turn on a computer, it really isn't that important. The eMacs are good value, get one now.

2) eMacs arn't perfect, and some break. But all computers break, and in my experience eMacs break less than the G3 iMacs did.

Barto
  • Reply 2 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Any update that eMacs get won't be all that major. They'll get maybe 200Mhz speed bump and a larger hard drive, but that's all. I echo what my comrade said above: If he doesn't know how to turn on a computer, whatever you get will be fine for him for a long time.

And by the way, if he doesn't know how to turn on a computer, how can he claim that Windows is so much better than Mac OS?

Tell him, "I can help you so much more if you get a Mac. *If* you have any problems with it, which WILL be fewer than if you got a windows machine, it'll be easier for me to troubleshoot them on a Mac. Also, since you don't have any experience with either operating system, a Mac won't be that hard for you to learn since you don't have to change your thinking from having used Windows before. Finally, the fact that an eMac is an all-in-one unit will make it easier for you to move around and reconnect if you need, and will allow you to conserve space wherever you decide to put it now or in the future."

Cheers!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "I can help you so much more if you get a Mac. "

Replace that with "I will not help you if it is not a Mac."

That's what I do--saves time for me. I get all the experiences i need dealing with Windows from having to interface with it in the world--I refuse to also run tech support for it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    show him an eMac or iMac17 running Virtual PC.

macs are bilingual if needed.

superdrives are superior too.

but a "1st" computer... always go mac.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

Replace that with "I will not help you if it is not a Mac."

That's great that you're willing to say that. In my case, however, if I were to say that to my family members (esp. my parents), they'd lay this huge guilt trip on me. How dare I, as a member of the family, make some sort of ultimatum of how things are going to work? According to them (and they'll never SAY this), it's my obligation as a family member to help them out in whatever way I can, even if I don't like it. That means if I know about Windows, I will help them if they buy a Windows machine, even though I told them to buy a Mac. If I don't help, I receive the Wrath of the Parental Guilt Trip upon me.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    They use Macs in the classrooms and all people over 55 in my family got macs. That says a lot.

I am currently trying to persuade him that an eMac is perfect for what he needs. Has anybody got any idea if this machine is going to be/will be updated soon?

--hard question. Apple is all over the place with updates. But that should not affect buying. All macs are upgradable to certain degrees...and have a great resale price (when you want to upgrade)

And while I am posting, I heard that there was a problem with some eMacs regarding the screen (raster effect?). Has this been sorted out?

** I have an emac and have no problems--but that doens't mean others havent.. If you are buing from someone older-- that can't lift heavy things, consider the flat screen imac, as opposed to the 70 pound emac.

--I love my emac...nice flat lcd screen. 700mhz...tons of memory that your uncle won't even use---in fact, he probably won't use a lot that is on the computer. In my opinion, and since I have bought and sold macs on ebay for a while, you can get an EMAC on ebay brand new in box for $800! So have fun and let us know when he starts to fall in love with it.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    just tell them that you wont br able to help them as much if they buy a pc.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    "That means if I know about Windows, I will help them if they buy a Windows machine, even though I told them to buy a Mac. "

That's a big "if". That should be all the loophole you need.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    he doesn't need an eMac or a flat-panel iMac. If he is budget-minded at all, pick up a graphite or snow G3 iMac. Light, all-in-one, generally reliable, and with 256mb ram plenty fast for his needs. All of this for around $700. I highly doubt he will ever notice any difference between the performance of a G3 iMac vs. eMac vs. any other modern mac.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by progmac

If he is budget-minded at all, pick up a graphite or snow G3 iMac.

It is better for first-time buyers to get NEW machines, not 2nd-hand ones. Less hassle with break-downs and the transaction etc.

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 14
    progmacprogmac Posts: 1,850member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

It is better for first-time buyers to get NEW machines, not 2nd-hand ones. Less hassle with break-downs and the transaction etc.

Barto

I agree it is good to get a new machine with Warranty. G3/600 iMacs can still be picked up favtory-refurbished with the regular apple warranty (1 year + option for extended apple care). Smalldog has a G3-600 w/cd-rw for $689

http://www.smalldog.com/product/40150

or an open box of the same thing (same warranty) for $669

http://www.smalldog.com/product/42128

something to consider, anyway
  • Reply 12 of 14
    donny1donny1 Posts: 33member
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Regarding the eMac update, it isn't so much a case of more speed, bigger hard disk etc. but a big discount on the current models.

Price is definitely one of the deciding factors I'm afraid. All he sees is you can get x amount of stuff in a Windows PC bundle for the same price as an eMac/iMac. I have explained that Apple comps have better build quality and will definitely last longer but somehow it keeps coming back to price.

In terms of what to buy, I was considering the classic iMac but I thought the eMac would be better suited. He might be a novice at the mo but won't be forever and the eMac would suit him better as he becomes more used to using it.

I've explained the benefits of the Mac OS over Windows, even being honest as to the advantages and disadvantages of both OS'es. Not much else I can do really.

Regarding the withdrawal of tech support if he buys Windows, I can't refuse to help him, the guilt trip from my family would be too much. I can however, definitely say, "I told you to buy a Mac" every time he phones me to help him out!

Donny
  • Reply 13 of 14
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Nobody should buy a machine with a 800*600 ratio anymore. All program interfaces are getting bigger, and so is web content. The price difference between the i and eMac is not enough to justify the iMac, IMHO.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    The Mac has more for the price than a PC. Don't just look at the hardware included. Apple excels at integration. All the software and hardware works seemlessly together. No configuration required. If you can use iMovie, you can use iPhoto, iTunes, iDVD etc. NO PC has the level of integration and quality in bundled software that the Mac does.

Barto