The Incredible "Things Everyone Knows, but must be reiterated anyway thread

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
TICKETMASTER SUCKS TICK-INFESTED RHINO NUTS.

More on this later but I have to go buy some tickets now..

Why don't you try one now?

[15 minutes later]

What a sleezebag organization. I cannot believe they make zero effort to even *appear* to protect your information. They might as well just put up a disclaimer that says "We own every artist and every event. You are our bitch; buy tickets from us and we WILL give your information to every third-party dirt bag telemartker who is willing to pay us for it.

And that is why, aside from my address and real name (for card verification), I gave them a fake phone number. Because I'll be damned if I'm going to have those pricks and their "partners" calling me every night and every weekend so they can try and sell me crap I don't need. Good thing I don't do this more than once a year or I'd stop going to concerts all together. Almost makes more sense to pay out the nose and buy them on E-Bay.

Where'd that corporate fire-bombing nomination thread go anyway? TicketMaster should be placed - by the administrative powers at AI, with all their infinite wisdom - right at the top of my list in the first post. I think it's safe to say I like TicketMaster even less than I like the Detroit Redwings and the Toronto Maple Leafs. Now THAT's saying something!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Jerry Springer, Jenny Jones, Ricki Lake, Blind Date, Elimidate, The 5th Wheel, ShipMates, The Bachelor, Joe Millionaire, and all the others like them are worthless wastes of time to watch...

...but DAMN they're entertaining!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Fox News is a blatantly conservative channel that masquerades under the premise of "fair and balanced."
  • Reply 3 of 34
    Long wispy combovers don't deliver the youthful head-of-hair look.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    Even if that outfit did make you look fat, only an idiot would ever say so.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Don't eat yellow snow.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Yes, the Mac is not the dominant platform on planet Earth. No, it is not about to vanish.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    Not all who wander are lost.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    you can't legislate away stupidity.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Fox News is a blatantly conservative channel that masquerades under the premise of "fair and balanced."

What makes Fox "conservative" in the eyes of many works exactly in reverse for those of us who aren't fans of CNN, the networks, NY Times, etc. If you don't enjoy seeing the figures, institutions and values you subscribe to mocked, ignored, marginalized, etc., of course you're not going to be a fan of organizations that seem to do it.

It goes both ways, and to deny that it doesn't is blindness, stupidity or a horrible combination of both.

Fox may very well tilt to the right in its commentary and such, but I can't even take seriously the people who denounce and mock it while, at the same time, pointing to Rather, Jennings, CNN, certain newspapers, etc. as sterling examples of straight-up, unbiased journalism and "untainted" perspective.

It just ain't so.

Fox News is the best thing to happen to cable news, if only because it makes the others try harder and not settle into lazy, complacent arrogance...the kind of thing that often happens when you've been "the only game in town" for decades, you know?

A little competition never killed anyone.

Out of genuine curiosity, what, exactly, makes Fox "conservative"? O'Reilly and Hannity? They're commentators. Hume and Snow? They host shows where others sit around and debate (Juan Williams isn't a right-winger). Neither is Alan Colmes and Greta. O'Reilly is anti-capital punishment and has quite a few other non-right-leaning views. As far as I know, Geraldo isn't a conservative Republican.

Do the anchors themselves come across conservative? That girl with the blonde hair or that pouty redhead? What about Cavuto? I'm honestly asking...I don't know his background or leanings. In any case, he hosts a money show as opposed to "hard news". Does anyone know Lou Dobbs' leanings? Does it matter?

Is it because Ailes owns it? Because they show a flag in the corner?

What, besides the debate/commentary shows (which CNN has just as much and has Carville and Begala on the payroll, in addition to Novak and Carlson) is Fox doing that's "conservative"?

I've honestly never, ever gotten a coherent, sensible and well-thought-out or -stated answer on this. Most people just go "Sean Hannity!" and leave it at that.

• Reply 10 of 34
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

What makes Fox "conservative" in the eyes of many works exactly in reverse for those of us who aren't fans of CNN, the networks, NY Times, etc.

SPJ is a big fan of Hillary Clinton. So we know where in the political spectrum he hail from.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    "Things Everyone Knows, but must be reiterated anyway thread"

Pscates denies Fox is conservative.

• Reply 12 of 34
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    In 15 to 20 years, Shawn will vote conservative.

Just kidding, I hope, though I am in doubt when it comes to you. I'd hate to lose you to the dark, nay, pitch-black side, even though I do not have you to lose.

• Reply 13 of 34
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    There is no such thing as international law.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

In 15 to 20 years, Shawn will vote conservative.

Just kidding, I hope, though I am in doubt when it comes to you. I'd hate to lose you to the dark, nay, pitch-black side, even though I do not have you to lose.

Al Gore won the Popu...appointment to Apple's Board.

• Reply 15 of 34
    Quote:

"Things Everyone Knows, but must be reiterated anyway thread"

Pscates denies Fox is conservative.

No, I asked "what MAKES it conservative"? I don't know if it is or isn't. All I know is that I don't want to fling a brick at the screen like I do when I watch other cable news. It's a legit question: not counting the debate/commentary shows (O'Reilly, H&C, Greta, that weekend "roundtable" with left and right going at it, etc.) what constitutes the conservative bent?

O'Reilly talks, gives his views: sometimes left, sometimes right, sometimes just common sense that falls right down the middle. Hannity? There's Alan sitting right beside him to counter. Greta? She's no rightie. I've seen all types on her show.

I wouldn't even count those types of shows because then what would you say about MSNBC who put on Donahue, unobstructed, for an hour? And now Michael Savage on Saturdays? Everyone knows Donahue's leanings but nobody raised a stink (other than that his show sucked). The great CNN has debate/commentary shows too. You don't call them "liberal" or "conservative".

On the straight news (the stuff you'd actually judge a news network by), who/what happens that causes you to label it that way? During the daytime (before the popular, ratings-topping primetime lineup kicks in), it's just news: people at a desk, reporters in Kuwait and reporters in America following local and national stories. Laurie Dhu? That Carol woman? Kitra (or whatever her name is)? The guy with the dark hair (not that idiot Shepard Smith)? Just the news anchors/talking heads? You detect a whif or right-wing from them? Really?

I'm genuinely asking (again): what makes Fox conservative? I'm just curious to know what you see that makes it so? Again, is it Ailes? The animated American flag in the corner? A pro-America statement by O'Reilly in regards to this war? That they have a host or two on there who go after the Reverend Jackson or the Clintons, when warranted, and call them on any shady, untoward behavior...instead of giving them a blanket pass like others seem to do? Is THAT it?

Probably.

I've asked twice. Don't make this about me and what I think, Shawn. When YOU watch it (and I doubt very seriously you even really do), what makes you go "ugh...that's horribly right-leaning and biased!"

• Reply 16 of 34
    finboyfinboy Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Most Lefty pinheads wouldn't know "fair and balanced" if it slapped them in the head.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    Quote:

Originally posted by finboy

Most Lefty pinheads wouldn't know "fair and balanced" if it slapped them in the head.

People on AI will inevitably resort to ad hominem attacks
  • Reply 18 of 34
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    it is wiser to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are a fool, than to leave your mouth open and prove it.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    "It takes one to know one."

And, oh yeah...see my sig.

• Reply 20 of 34
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    It doesn't matter if Al Gore won the popular vote. Presidential elections are NOT set up to consider such. The president is elected by representatives of the STATES, not the country's populous. Deal with it, or change the Constitution.