The best things to come from the US

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I had a nice day today and, for once, I feel compelled to start a Happy Thread. I turned on the radio and heard this song by Bruce Springsteen. I forgot the name, but it's from his 'Tunnel of Love' album from 1987. It was, arguably, the nicest song from that album. Anyway. I am quite a Springsteen fan. I have just about all his albums, up to the 4 cd 'Tracks' set, and I am perpetually in doubt as to which album I like most (I do know I like the Human Touch - Lucky Town duo the least). High up there is definitely Nebraska and The River, and The Ghost of Tom Joad, maybe Darkness on the Edge of Town too, and I actually have a liking for Tunnel of Love (though I guess that's not universal). Hell, I've left out his Live set (from 1986), which is just amazing. [I'm not crazy about The Rising though. It sounds awfully repetitive and dull to me.] Anyway, you'll notice that I really cannot pin one down as his best. I love (almost) all of them.

So, after having taking up the nice routine of bashing the US five to ten minutes a day (you'll see, it DOES keep the doctor away), I thought I'm not doing Springsteen, and all the other things from the US that I like, a favor. Plenty of good things can still be said about the US. Plenty of good things originate there. And I WAS thinking of Springsteen as a prime example of what I mean. And, in second (or even first place), I'd have to mention literature. Strangely enough though, as I am European and therefore closer (even if just geographically) to the theatre in which the entire history of literature took place. But America has decent literature. It might have something to do with me having been a student of English, and having come in contact in detail and over a long time, with the work of Afro-American author John Edgar Wideman, and many others, I have seen and read many things I love.

I could mention the Jewish-American authors. Saul Bellow! BELLOW! A name deserving of an exclamation mark. They should give the man another Nobel Prize. Philip Roth. E.L. Doctorow. John Steinbeck even. I love them all. The Beats of course, who hasn't been an adolescent (I imagine) and has tried his hand at being hip by being a Beat-reader... And of course, let's not forget the chest of Afro-American fiction. A subject in which I hope to, one day, earn a PhD.

Ah well, you get my drift. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Why didn't you start a thread about the best things NOT to come from the US? Then people would have to flex their collective brains on it.

Best thing: Rock & Roll
  • Reply 2 of 40
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    You condescension is rank, though it is a change of pace to see you not speaking in hate speech and black-and-white terms.

If this is your gesture of goodwill maybe you'll be able to redraft it so it isn't so filled with shock that there may be a some good things lurking in the Heart of Fascist Darkness that is America.
  • Reply 3 of 40
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Geezus Kryst, you sure can't just lighten up and put your differences aside to have some fun can you? Way to hijack the thread.

Back on topic - I also like rock and roll music. I really like classic rock and there's sure some good stuff out there by Petty, Clapton, Springsteen, and the like. Macintosh computers also rank high on the list of good things from the USA But I can't decide, there's a lot of stuff here I like.

One thing I don't like is most of the food here. I have a hard time eating anywhere but an ethnic restaurant. My favorite type of food has to be middle eastern, just about any kind. Indian, Afghani, Ethiopian... I just love a good curried dish. So flavorful, unlike most American food, although a good hamburger is just right sometimes.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    best thing out of US? No question... me!
  • Reply 5 of 40
    Sliced Cheese. 8)
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Sliced Cheese. 8)

They should rename that colour to "cheese". It looks just like Irish Cheddar. So amazing that it makes me want a cheese burger.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

Sliced Cheese. 8)

Bullshit. Cheese in a can. That is american genius!
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

Bullshit. Cheese in a can. That is american genius!

I agree.

The James Dean of Cheese. 8) 100% Cool.

• Reply 9 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

I could mention the Jewish-American authors. Saul Bellow! BELLOW! A name deserving of an exclamation mark. They should give the man another Nobel Prize. Philip Roth. E.L. Doctorow. John Steinbeck even. I love them all. The Beats of course, who hasn't been an adolescent (I imagine) and has tried his hand at being hip by being a Beat-reader... And of course, let's not forget the chest of Afro-American fiction. A subject in which I hope to, one day, earn a PhD.

Ah well, you get my drift. Any thoughts?

when i read doctorow i keep a dictionary handy.....the way he always finds the perfect word always astounds me.

however i think america's greatest gift to the world are....

MOVIES!

serious, stupid, funny, romantic, inane, beautiful, ugly, big budget, low budget, artistic......

i love foreign films, don't get me wrong, but america invented MOVIES.

oh and JAZZ too.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    for me it's a tie between baseball, and rock. Airplanes was a nice addition too. The worst idea we had... the UN.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Actually the french and us invented movies at the exact time, different concepts same product though, however our system was cheaper and our society took more to movie's at the time...
  • Reply 12 of 40
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kraig911

Actually the french and us invented movies at the exact time, different concepts same product though, however our system was cheaper and our society took more to movie's at the time...

truth be told

the Lumiere bros

and Marey

French

and Edison and that famous photo dude who's books every artist has who's name escapes me at the moment

American

though I think it was the French who came up with the first idea of editting by putting two different shots together

but hey, HOLLYWOOD, Rock and Roll, Jazz, Hip Hop, Country Music, BlueGrass,

and, though invented by an Italian(?) and used, first en masse by the Nazis,(!) we perfected Television *ehem...cough..*

also: Plastic: that famous synthetisist Caruthers I believe

and, though the Germans actually invented them, we took the Automobile to truly nuerotic levels of obsession.

and flight

Personal Computers

Walt Whitman, Wallace Stevens, Poe, Plath, Pynchon, Dickenson

Rauschenberg, Warhol, Cage, Bengalis, Cecelia Condit, Pollock, Vito Acconci, Bruce Naumann,

Charles Ives
  • Reply 13 of 40
    i didn't mean we invented film, or cinema......

we invented MOVIES.

the culture of movies, the movie star, taking it to the next gaudy level,

hollywood and all that.....
  • Reply 14 of 40
    argentoargento Posts: 483member
    Nobody mentioned Dylan?!?!?!?!?!?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    I think all countries have great affect on each of our lives.

In America I think it is cool to see people reach the top so often.

Tiger Woods....

Fellowship
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Blues, Jazz, Rock n Roll

Baseball, Football (the kind with helmets )

Fenway Franks, Velveeta

Transcendentalism, Antitranscendentalism
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Baseball, Paul Simon and the Marshall Plan.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    The  Macintosh.

The Blues.

The Zippo.

The doggy bag.

In that order.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    harley's
  • Reply 20 of 40
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    HOCKEY!

Aw crap... wait a minute, that's from Canada.

Uhhh. Reason 2.5! No wait - that's German.

Errr... I'll have to say Chicago Style Pizza (cuz believe me, it's not Italian!)