New eMacs Soon - Think Secret

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Link

Apple to boost eMacs to 1GHz, add third model

By Nick dePlume, Publisher and Editor in Chief

April 15, 2003 - Apple is on the verge of announcing a trio of speed-bumped eMacs, sources confirmed to Think Secret.

Highly reliable sources said that Apple's consumer eMac lineup will be expanded to three models. In an effort to fill the gap left by the departure of the classic iMac G3, the first will be a bare-bones 800MHz G4 unit that will ship with only a CD-ROM drive. The other two models will ship with a Combo drive and SuperDrive, like today's units, but will now both clock at 1GHz, and include larger hard drives. Apple currently offers just two models, with the exception of a third custom-built unit with a stand and more RAM.

Other changes are in store. All models will be ready for AirPort Extreme, but, like the current units, none will actually ship with an AirPort card inside. Apple will also drop the current NVIDIA GeForce2 MX graphics processor for an ATI Radeon 7500.

The new eMacs are also expected to boast S-video and composite video output, though the Apple Video Adapter will be required to connect to a TV. Current models ship with VGA video output only.

Other features will likely remain the same, and the selection of bundled software will be nearly unchanged. As expected, these new 2003 eMacs will not support Mac OS 9, at least for consumer, non-education buyers.

At this time, we're unable to confirm the pricing for the new lineup. However, given the pricing for the two current eMac models -- $999 and $1,299 -- it's possible that the two new top-end models could keep those prices, with the new 800MHz unit shipping below that.

The eMac line has been plagued with a display issue that has turned into a significant problem for Apple, sources said. While the failure-prone component wasn't Apple's (it came from a subcontractor of the eMac's Taiwan manufacturer), a large number of eMacs were produced to ship at the time of announcement last year. As a result, more faulty units got out than should have, due to the lack of a gradual production ramp-up. A source familiar with Apple repair and support groups said that the failure rate is higher than Apple would like, but has not necessitated a recall. Despite this, stories abound of education buyers sending back 10 or 20 brand-new eMacs back for repair -- or more -- and there are hopes that this won't be an issue the second time around.

In an effort to spur sales of the current models, Apple recently cut the price of its lowest-end eMac for educational customers to $779 from its usual $849 tag, and the institutional price dropped to $699. Channel sources have confirmed that distributors' inventories of the eMacs are low, and insiders said that the new eMacs could be released any day.

Through company documents, Think Secret has obtained the specifications of the three refreshed models:

800MHz PowerPC G4

CD-ROM drive

256K L2 Cache @ 800MHz

128MB SDRAM memory

40GB Ultra ATA drive

ATI Radeon 7500

32MB DDR video memory

FireWire 400 and USB

VGA/S-video/composite outputs

Built-in 56K v.92 modem

AirPort Extreme Ready

1GHz PowerPC G4

Combo drive

256K L2 Cache @ 1GHz

128MB of SDRAM

60GB Ultra ATA drive

ATI Radeon 7500

32MB DDR video memory

FireWire 400 and USB

Built-in 56K v.92 modem

AirPort Extreme Ready

1GHz PowerPC G4

SuperDrive

256K L2 Cache @ 1GHz

256MB of SDRAM

80GB Ultra ATA drive

ATI Radeon 7500

32MB DDR video memory

FireWire 400 and USB

Built-in 56K v.92 modem

AirPort Extreme Ready

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Hmm... no Airport Extreme in the "new" 800 MHz iMac, but they are putting it into the upcoming eMacs? Maybe on the 1 GHz model, but not on the others. Apple is too afraid to promote their new standard I think... if they pull through and put AE on all the new eMacs, I will be pleasantly surprised. And a graphics change? Hmm... I dunno. Maybe they'll add some more ATI cards to balance out the count of nVidia vs. ATI cards they have in their products.
  • Reply 2 of 61
    No head-less eMac? How much cheaper would eMacs go without the CRT? I think a monitor-less entry level mac would appeal to many looking for a second computer.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    Apple will never make a headless Mac. Why? Because apparently Apple has something against making a computer that's under $799 new. And why are they against it? I don't know. Maybe Steve Jobs is living in an RDF Bubble and he doesn't realize that monitorless PCs are as little as $499 these days.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

No head-less eMac? How much cheaper would eMacs go without the CRT? I think a monitor-less entry level mac would appeal to many looking for a second computer.

Yes, I think it's time to stop mucking about and instead release a 1GHz minitower for $600. eMacs, though very good for schools and small non-profit orgs, are a dead end compared to cheap conventional headless boxes.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    Exactly. Headless macs are the way to go. Their design team could make the most beautiful mini tower (or you could place it horizontally if you wished).

Maybe Steve is still scared from the G4 Cube's lack of success. They pulled the plug on it too soon, but this would be something completely different. This would be aimed at a lower price to compete with Dell, eMachines et al.
  • Reply 6 of 61
    MacWhispers posted this:

http://www.envestco2.com/macwhispers...ves/000060.php

- We have been told that the plastic housings for both the eMac and iBook have "recently been slightly modified" and that "the new versions have been shipping for assembly for about three weeks."

Maybe that means eMac/iBook will get Airport Extreme (and Bluetooth?) soon.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Hopefully Apple will continue to offer $699 institutional pricing on a special barebones eMac configuration...My old student group is looking to buy a dozen or so new computers in that price range very soon...
  • Reply 8 of 61
    It would be nice if there were new eMacs soon. With what appears to be the demise of my iBook it looks like I may have to start thinking about a replacement in the near future.

I don't really want to go with a desktop mac but the price of the eMac is tempting. I know the iBooks aren't much more expensive but I'm not sure I can realistically sink money into a G3 machine again. My plea to Apple is that they upgrade the iBooks to G4s as soon as possible!! Otherwise, gasp!, I may have to purchase an eMac.

Of course, a tablet at the right price might be tempting...
  • Reply 9 of 61
    lucylucy Posts: 44member
    If ThinkSecret is right, (big 'if,' huh?) then the *consumer* bottom-of-the-line 800MHz eMac could be priced at $699 - $799 for regular customers, and significantly less to education ($599 - $699) and institutional buyers ($499-$649). These prices are getting into the range of cheap Dells and the like (with, or without, the monitor). The academic pricing could be quite good, better than Dell (not the cheapest, but the most likely other choice), maybe even low enough to make up for the software difference as opposed to PC's. If these are priced low enough, they could really help Apple in the education market. (Really low prices, would require either a price-drop or total discontinuation of the 15 inch CRT iMac.)

*The current eMac (the 700MHz one) goes for $699, so the actual bottom-of-the-line (700MHz) could drop lower in price (probably as-is) or the 800MHz (hopefully updated) may become education only and just replace the 700MHz one at its current price spot.*

*edits*
  • Reply 10 of 61
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Well, looks like no mobo update if it's gonna keep with SDRAM, Just how long is Apple going to have a 100MHz bus in its desktops? 5 years? If only X would run on Intel so I could bypass Apple's crappy/overpriced hardware.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    We've had rumours of the (slightly) upgraded iBooks as well. Is Apple just planning a speed bump across the consumer range all in one go? It looks likely to me. I really can't see them letting the eMac get to exactly the same specs (bar the LCD and the much better looks) as the iMac and with a considerable price difference. Is Apple lost?
  • Reply 12 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proxy

I really can't see them letting the eMac get to exactly the same specs (bar the LCD and the much better looks) as the iMac and with a considerable price difference. Is Apple lost?

• Reply 13 of 61
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I know this Mac fills a niche, but this is the most unexciting news I could think of. Most of Apple's offerings seem to have inspiration behind them. But the eMac seems dull. It like the iMac 1.5.

I know a guy who has one and he thinks its a great machine. But its hard for me to car about it. Is it selling well? Do any sizable sales come from outside the edu market?

For non-edu, entry/consumer level people who don't want to pay for an iMac, this machine doesn't make sense. If I were Joe Average looking for a computer, I would never choose this over a bargain basement PC. The price is not that attractive compared to PC offerings, the screen is small (avg PC is 19"), there is no expandability, and (IMO) doesn't have any 'cool factor' to offset the competition.

Well, thats my gripe for the day...carry on.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    Average PCs don't have 19" screens. Most have 17" screens.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

I know this Mac fills a niche, but this is the most unexciting news I could think of. Most of Apple's offerings seem to have inspiration behind them. But the eMac seems dull. It like the iMac 1.5.

I know a guy who has one and he thinks its a great machine. But its hard for me to car about it. Is it selling well? Do any sizable sales come from outside the edu market?

For non-edu, entry/consumer level people who don't want to pay for an iMac, this machine doesn't make sense. If I were Joe Average looking for a computer, I would never choose this over a bargain basement PC. The price is not that attractive compared to PC offerings, the screen is small (avg PC is 19"), there is no expandability, and (IMO) doesn't have any 'cool factor' to offset the competition.

Well, thats my gripe for the day...carry on.

It's funny, you know, this seems to be most people's reaction to the eMac.

The reason I find it funny or odd is because I remember the time when these boards and others were full of threads with people crying out for/predicting/getting inside information on the "17" iMac".

Now that we have the 17" iMac why don't people like it? I guess Steve just mis-timed its release?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Now that we have the 17" iMac why don't people like it?

Why do you think people who bought it don't like it? If you don't like eMacs/iMacs, it doesn't mean they are crap.
    Quote:

I guess Steve just mis-timed its release?

No, the time couldn't be 'more right'. In a couple of years, when CRTs are really dead, there will be no room for eMacs.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

My Bondi iMac's CRT has been ruining my eyes and my desktop for too long. But I don't want an all-in-one FP iMac because I want to be able to time LCD and CPU upgrades independently. I don't even mind the eMac's slow-poke 100Mhz bus. A sub-$1000 headless eMac with SuperDrive would fit my (desktop) needs perfectly.

Escher
  • Reply 18 of 61
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Retrograde

Now that we have the 17" iMac why don't people like it? I guess Steve just mis-timed its release?

no, people love to whine.

like me...

i'm only satisfied if the imac get its 19"/20" cinemadisplay (and ppc970), or the next 15" Al powerbook incarnation gets the ppc970, or the ppc970 tower has a really reasonable price so it won't hurt that much when i buy a 20"cinema display with it...
  • Reply 19 of 61
    Yes, I think the problem and the joy of computers and many other things in life is that we are never quite satisfied with what is available and so can almost always see room for improvement. Another way of putting it is that companies are trying to produce computers for general categories of consumers (which is all they can do) but in realities there are as many types of consumers as there are consumers. (enough market psychobabble )

But in case my earlier post didn't make it clear I actually think the eMac is fine as it is and have just been surprised at the number of other people who seem to dislike it. And this is all the more surprising to me when considering the interest there used to be for a 17" iMac...
  • Reply 20 of 61
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Keda

Remember, this is the machine that was introduced for sale outside the educational market by popular demand.

It sells pretty well.

Even if it didn't, the educational market is large enough and important enough for Apple to justify the eMac's existence. It's not supposed to be a sexy or exciting computer, although it's better looking than its forebears (the Performa 520? and the "Molar" PowerMac G3).