Collection of *confirmed* Panther info.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
#1 "Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference 2003 will be the biggest ever. With extensive coverage of the next version of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther" ? as well as a preview release given to each attendee ? WWDC is a don't miss opportunity." (link)

So far all we know is when the preview will be out....which is June 23. Short list eh? As more is revealed, we can tag it to this thread.

So does anybody have decent info about minimum specs to run Panther, length of time for the Preview Release[will is be 3 months from preview till release like with Jaguar?], or the key feature list? (try to have a link to support your thoughts) Also, are we positive it will be 10.3 and not 10.5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 227
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

#1 "Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference 2003 will be the biggest ever. With extensive coverage of the next version of Mac OS X, codenamed "Panther" ? as well as a preview release given to each attendee ? WWDC is a don't miss opportunity." (link)

So far all we know is when the preview will be out.... Short list eh? As more is revealed, we can tag it to this thread.

So does anybody have decent info about minimum specs to run Panther, length of time for the Preview Release, or the key feature list? (try to have a link to support your thoughts)

**CONFIRMED** Nobody knows anything confirmed about Panther yet.
  • Reply 2 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

**CONFIRMED** Nobody knows anything confirmed about Panther yet.

I wouldn't go that far.

We have several sources claiming a new 'journaled' file system.

We also have talks of iPhoto Pro, Appleworks 7 (coming out in about a year), a cocoa Finder, brushed metal everywhere, revamped dock, Mac built WMP, modification of Rendezvous (iCal & AddressBook), revision of Grab.app and lastly an audio suite (circa same release date as Appleworks)

So it's not that we don't know ANYTHING. Someone take the torch of one of these and go bang some heads for info. Perhaps we can find somebody working on some aspect of these which can confirm something. (*hint* *hint*)
  • Reply 3 of 227
    Well at this point, everything you listed is speculation. But when we get info from Apple at the WWDC, then we can pretty much say it's confirmed...leaked builds of Panther might also give us confirmation on Panther info.

But then again...nothing really is confirmed until it's shipped and in the hands of someone that is doubtful.
  • Reply 4 of 227
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

... ...brushed metal everywhere... ...

A completely brushed metal interface is BS, **CONFIRMED**.

I think that in that list, a better Finder is the most likely.
  • Reply 5 of 227
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Well at this point, everything you listed is speculation. But when we get info from Apple at the WWDC, then we can pretty much say it's confirmed...leaked builds of Panther might also give us confirmation on Panther info.

But then again...nothing really is confirmed until it's shipped and in the hands of someone that is doubtful.

Exactly...

Something things that get shown at WWDC might not make it into Panther... Just as was the case with some features that were set for Jag and demo'd at WWDC but 'went missing' when the update shipped... Mini-windows or whatever they were called come to mind.

Dave
  • Reply 6 of 227
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Actually the completely brushed metal interface is not confirmed as BS. Prove that it doesn't. Do you have any screenshots to provide?

First the systemwide brused metal that your hearing about is more like a systemwide gray. Imagine brushed metal and setting the brightness way way up. It's so subtile that it just looks gray.
  • Reply 7 of 227
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

Actually the completely brushed metal interface is not confirmed as BS. Prove that it doesn't. Do you have any screenshots to provide?

First the systemwide brused metal that your hearing about is more like a systemwide gray. Imagine brushed metal and setting the brightness way way up. It's so subtile that it just looks gray.

do you have any screenshots to prove what you claim?
  • Reply 8 of 227
    Quote:

Do you work for Looprumors or do you just pray for them every night?

Quote:

We also have talks of iPhoto Pro, Appleworks 7 (coming out in about a year), a cocoa Finder, brushed metal everywhere, revamped dock, Mac built WMP, modification of Rendezvous (iCal & AddressBook), revision of Grab.app and lastly an audio suite (circa same release date as Appleworks)

So it's not that we don't know ANYTHING. Someone take the torch of one of these and go bang some heads for info. Perhaps we can find somebody working on some aspect of these which can confirm something. (*hint* *hint*)

'Several sources' means MacRumors, MOSR, LoopRumors, Macbidouille and TS, yes/not?
  • Reply 9 of 227
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

I wouldn't go that far.

Well... the journaled file system is available in 10.2.2 and later.

As for the rest of the stuff you've listed - it's all speculation, 0% confirmed.
  • Reply 10 of 227
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    Quote:

iphoto pro??

IPHOTO PRO!!!??!?!?!?!?! man something like that is my DREAM!!!! 8)

can u link me to ANY speculation?
  • Reply 11 of 227
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Cocoa Finder is the least likely feature. This is what I am 99% sure about. The thing is, Carbon and Cocoa API can be used in the same application without any problems. To be more precise, they only chose the Carbon event loop model and that is all you could care about. There are no problems with Finder being a Carbon app in this sense. All Finder's drawbacks amount to insufficient stability, poor multithreading and partly inconsistent interface. These are not Carbon-specific issues. And they won't be automatically eliminated if they make a pure Cocoa Finder. To defend Finder I can say that it just works. Not exactly as we would like, but it is usable.
  • Reply 12 of 227
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Quote:

Nothing here that has 'Confirmed' in the same sentence should ever be taken seriously, **CONFIRMED**
  • Reply 13 of 227
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    iPhoto Professional recently just came out. It has a 50,000% speed increase, can catalog PDFs, HTML, Movies, Sounds, and Fonts. Some of the features are direct backup to disc, slide show, create HTML from albums, quick navigation in three different modes, support for about 50 more digital cameras, and color correction.

OH and by the way they changed it's name. It's called iView MediaPro

Oh and did i mention the 50,000% speed increase, and the numerous awards iView Media Pro has won? Or maybe the fact that it's the defacto standard for press photographers?

I highly recommend you check it out for yourself:

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

Some Quotes:

MacWorld: "An indispensable tool for organizing digital assets."

MacHome: "The best choice for digital imaging enthusiasts."

MacFormat UK: "The perfect partner for your digital hub."

MacUser UK: "Cheap - Fast - Simple."

MacWorld France: "Golden software! MacWorld Choice."

MacNut: "Has a lot more features than iPhoto."
  • Reply 14 of 227
    cyclecycle Posts: 187member
    Quote:

iPhoto Professional recently just came out. It has a 50,000% speed increase, can catalog PDFs, HTML, Movies, Sounds, and Fonts. Some of the features are direct backup to disc, slide show, create HTML from albums, quick navigation in three different modes, support for about 50 more digital cameras, and color correction.

OH and by the way they changed it's name. It's called iView MediaPro

Oh and did i mention the 50,000% speed increase, and the numerous awards iView Media Pro has won? Or maybe the fact that it's the defacto standard for press photographers?

I highly recommend you check it out for yourself:

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

Some Quotes:

MacWorld: "An indispensable tool for organizing digital assets."

MacHome: "The best choice for digital imaging enthusiasts."

MacFormat UK: "The perfect partner for your digital hub."

MacUser UK: "Cheap - Fast - Simple."

MacWorld France: "Golden software! MacWorld Choice."

MacNut: "Has a lot more features than iPhoto."

yah thats a pretty good app...iam not a fan of iphoto..

and i dont like adobe...everything after photoshop4 was messy...

i want a photoshop killer from apple...
  • Reply 15 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Cocoa Finder is the least likely feature.

Why? Apple is clearly moving everything to Cocoa.

Apple is constantly improving Cocoa...and Carbon is always a few steps behind. The Finder with a Cocoa interface would be in tune with what Apple has been doing in the past year: moving their software to Cocoa.

Apple is pushing developers to use Cocoa at this point. Carbon was great for OS 9 apps that needed porting to OS X...but Apple makes it clear that new projects or rewrites should be in Cocoa.

The Finder is in bad shape. Very bad shape. A rewrite in Cocoa would probably solve LOTS of problems as opposed to trying to heal a fatally wounded Carbon Finder...not because it's Cocoa, but because a rewrite would allow Apple to start fresh with things like a a new filesystem in mind as opposed to tacking it on as a hack to the existing Finder.

But let's face it folks...Cocoa allows for toolbars, drawers and quite a few neat-o things coming in 10.3 that won't be available to Carbon developers. Carbon and Cocoa may be unifying more and more but Apple says Cocoa should be used from now on, so why not bite the bullet and follow Apple's words of wisdom. They know best as to what Cocoa is and will become.
  • Reply 16 of 227
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    kim kap sol, if you are right, why is Finder not written in pure Cocoa yet? Do Apple's developers have problems with coding a file browser from scratch? Everything this Finder does can be done in Cocoa. I don't get it and I tend to think there might be some performance issues. Or a political will to demonstrate a working Carbon app.
  • Reply 17 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

kim kap sol, if you are right, why is Finder not written in pure Cocoa yet? Do Apple's developers have problems with coding a file browser from scratch? Everything this Finder does can be done in Cocoa. I don't get it and I tend to think there might be some performance issues. Or a political will to demonstrate a working Carbon app.

They're probably working on it right now. They have probably been working on it for quite some time. Who knows. How about we wait for 10.3 before discussing this again.
  • Reply 18 of 227
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

...As for the rest of the stuff you've listed - it's all speculation, 0% confirmed...

I understand that. I was replying to kim kap sol.

Yes, there are lots of rumor sites with opinions. I think it's getting down to time for real leaks to appear. It always happens (well...maybe not always)

So this is the rumor community at large asking anybody in the know to confirm what they can. Not break every trade secret in the book, but just say, "Nah, brushed metal is gonna go" or "Sure, cocoa finder ya got it".
  • Reply 19 of 227
    dmgeistdmgeist Posts: 153member
    There is also this next style file browsing thing called "piles". You can catch a demo for it here ----->Hi I'm the link

I think its a novel approach to the desktop metaphore that apple has been striving for all these years. As well as filling the seperation between our physical and digital lives. As a 3d artist this style of file manipulation seems somewhat familiar, and estescally pleasing. More of a depth to your UI than the traditional flat panal.

Thoughts anyone.....?
  • Reply 20 of 227
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Please no Carbon vs. Cocoa FUD. Carbon is not "less native" than Cocoa, and Cocoa is not necessarily the future for everything. Plus, since Office X the two APIs are merging...so why argue about it. I'm sure Apple knows what the right choice is for their software...other companies will make their own choice as well.