vB Oddity

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
now, i may be misinterpretting the intent or meaning behind the several icons and colors in the fora and threads. its my understanding that the bright light means new topics or new responses, yellow folder means new responses in a topic, the arrow throws you at the newest (to you) response, blue lights are new responses (since last view) and grey lights are old responses. and if i got one or all of those wrong, feel free to correct me. well, assuming i'm right: several of those don't seem to work as i'd think. often i go to a forum (for example: AO), and notice some the yellow folders. when i click on the arrow relating to some topic i might be interested in, it often throws me way past responses i haven't yet read. and the blue and grey lights are inaccurrate too (with the approximate same frequency). sometimes a topic i've noticed will turn the yellow folder to blue (indicating i've read it), when i haven't infact read it. so, how off am i with guessing the icons and their associated meanings?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I think the blue lights and the arrows indicating new posts point to the newest posts since last you visited the forums, NOT read that particular thread.

If you post in a thread at, say, 12:00pm and leave, then come back at 3:00pm but don't read that thread, then come back again at 6:00pm, it will only show the posts since 3:00pm as new.

Even if you don't visit the particular forum that the thread is in (say AO) when you come back at 3:00pm, it still starts over on everything from that time. ALL threads in AO (and every other forum) will be counted as checked when you leave, even though you never went in that forum. "New" post indicators start over at that time.

Admins, please tell me I'm getting this right.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

I think the blue lights and the arrows indicating new posts point to the newest posts since last you visited the forums, NOT read that particular thread.

If you post in a thread at, say, 12:00pm and leave, then come back at 3:00pm but don't read that thread, then come back again at 6:00pm, it will only show the posts since 3:00pm as new.

Even if you don't visit the particular forum that the thread is in (say AO) when you come back at 3:00pm, it still starts over on everything from that time. ALL threads in AO (and every other forum) will be counted as checked when you leave, even though you never went in that forum. "New" post indicators start over at that time.

Admins, please tell me I'm getting this right.

you confirmed my fear. well, in that case, the icons do me no good. i'd rather each thread remembered my place. maybe i have to wait for wBB for that.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

its my understanding that the bright light means new topics or new responses, yellow folder means new responses in a topic,

Correct.

Quote:

the arrow throws you at the newest (to you) response,

The right-facing arrow at the right in the "Last Post" column takes you to the very last post of the thread. The down-facing arrow on the left by the thread's title takes to to the first new post since you saw the thread.

Quote:

blue lights are new responses (since last view) and grey lights are old responses.

Correct.

Quote:

when i click on the arrow relating to some topic i might be interested in, it often throws me way past responses i haven't yet read.

This works according to the last time you viewed the thread, I believe. Even if you didnt *read* all the posts the last time you loaded the thread, it will assume that you've seen them all and the next time you click that down-facing arrow it will take you past all the ones that were visible the previous time you clicked and take you to the first new posts since then.

Quote:

sometimes a topic i've noticed will turn the yellow folder to blue (indicating i've read it), when i haven't infact read it.

I've noticed this too. I'm not sure, but I can only guess that it's a bug with the cookies or something. There's nothing really we can do about this.

I could, though, be mistaken and some of the data here is based on the last visit to the forum overall. I may check into this later.