I have a job interview tomorrow.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
... and I'm close to crapping my pants. Jeez. I've been unemployed for a little while now (way too long for my liking), and now, I've stumbled into this position they have at the "Centre for Text Edition and Source-Study" (part of the Institution for Dutch literature, or something, whatever,...). So the position would be 6 months of research to make a reader's edition of the literary-critical essays a Belgian author (Ivo Michiels) wrote between 1947 and 1958. Sounds REALLY interesting right ? Anyway, I can actually imagine myself liking this job. If anything, it'll get me going on that PhD I've always coveted. And it'll stop my being unemployed in these trying times.

So, thinking about the position, I'm already getting my hopes up. Then I'm thinking I won't be good enough. My knowledge of the literary landscape, and the author won't be enough... I'll do something, anything that'll tilt the balance in favor of those supergeeks who've done nothing else but this kind of work all their lives.

I am SO nervous (yes, you read that right: exactly how a 16 year old girl would pronounce that, describing her emotions at first dating some quarterback).

Anyway, anybody have some last minute tips for me, the man behind the Kopf? I'm not exactly a seasoned interviewee... Some helpful stuff that'll land me this job for sure? Even though some other candidate might be more knowledgeable on the topic? Anybody have some words of motivation? Just wishing me plain ole' good luck?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    The last time I had a real interview, well not really real it was at Border's books, I was trying so hard to not look nervous that about 5 minutes into it I moved my hand and there was a sweat mark on the table from tensing my muscles so I didn't play with the pen nervously. Then I saw that and got nervous that I looked nervous. The best thing I can suggest is to try your best to not try too hard. Do you best to come off as naturally smooth. Good luck!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Drink some vodka. You can´t smell it and being a juror I can tell you people are most convincing when they had a drink or two (although the overall impression fades a bit when they didn´t consider which alcohol to consume before testifying).

On the other hand my advices never seems to get people anywhere.

Good luck. mI´ll place my lucky pants and shirt in the south-south-west direction tomorrow (they work!)
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Basically a rehash of my standard exam advice:

Get a good nights sleep, have a proper breakfast, make sure you know exactly where you're going and how you're going to get there and leave plenty of time for contingencies. (You never know when some damn hippies are going to start protesting about something or other.)

Other than that, try to relax and good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 15
    *mumbles something incoherently at getting passed over for some quarterback type one too many times*

• Reply 5 of 15
    Even if the place has a casual dress code, wear a suit or shirt / tie type of outfit...

Bring a couple of copies of your CV with you in an envelope or folder...

Make sure to turn off your phone (if you have one) before going in...

Be extra polite (wait for the interviewer(s) to ask you to enter the room, sit down, etc)...

Sit straight up in the chair, hands visible (folded is good) and look the interviewer(s) in the eye...

Have an anecdote or two prepared in your head in case they ask you about previous work environment experiences (dealing with difficult deadlines / asshole bosses / annoying or lazy coworkers). Keep the anecdote innocuous and don't give out about anyone...this is all to demonstrate how well adjusted you are in the workplace...

Also prepare an example of how you approached a similar (or as approximate as possible) research task in the past. Be prepared to talk how you structured the research and planned out the reporting?

Hope that they don't ask you to list your strengths or weaknesses, because there is no way to give an answer to these questions that doesn't sound rehearsed...

Rehearse answers to potential ?strengths or weaknesses? questions just in case...

Wait until after the interview to drink the vodka

Good luck!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kneelbeforezod

Even if the place has a casual dress code, wear a suit or shirt / tie type of outfit...

Yea I don't know about that. I went to a wedding in Holand and no one there wore a suit and tie. 'cept me. I took the tie off.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I'm thinking of a shirt and blazer combo, with less fancy pants and shoes. However, though I'll be wearing my motorcycle jacket while driving there on my bike (it's 40km) I am gonna ditch the thing at a friend's place when I get there. I don't wanna be looking too skunky either. Of course, I know that in this circle (the literary branche) real formal dress is only worn by the old professor geezers. So I'm really in doubt. I don't wanna mess up my chances by coming there in a mountain hiker's outfit. But neither do I wanna come off a tight ass pencilpusher.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I wish you a good day tomorrow. If you want that job, you'll get it.

(btw, check your e-mail)
  • Reply 9 of 15
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Some tips:

1. If the person who's interviewing is a woman, comment on her breasts. She'll appreciate your playful thoughtfulness. You'll be a shoo-in.

2. Use big words and lower your voice 1-2 octaves. Try to fit in "gravitas" and "paradigm" at least twice each.

3. Be sure to ask permission before you light up. She'll appreciate the gesture.

4. Ask about the company picnic, right up front: where, when, etc. Is it BYOB? Any chance of getting laid by someone from the receptionist pool?

5. Comb your hair forward. The Caesar look sells. It shows your serious about life and your work.

6. When talking, close your eyes and grimace a lot, as though you're searching for the perfect words. This shows your a deep thinker who puts thought and effort into his words. That goes a LONG way.

7. If you've got tattoos, by all means offer to show them. It indicates "permanence" and "dedication". Employers look for that. If you have a pierced scrotum, that's even better! Just pick a suitable time in the interview to bring it up. Nothing more embarrassing than displaying your nut jewelry too soon off the bat. Settle into a nice, relaxed groove for 3 or 4 minutes.

8. Wink occasionally. If it's a guy, then don't. Just cock your head some and go "yeahhhh...you got that right".

der Kopf, I wish you well on your interview, man. Use some (or all) of the above and the world is your oyster.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Some tips:

Now that does alleviate a lot of tension. I haven't laughed like this in a while.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Good luck with your interview tomorrow, Kopf.

And now get to bed!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Now that does alleviate a lot of tension. I haven't laughed like this in a while.

Check your PMs for a little bit of interview empathy...

• Reply 13 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Some tips:

4. Ask about the company picnic, right up front: where, when, etc. Is it BYOB? Any chance of getting laid by someone from the receptionist pool?

7. If you've got tattoos, by all means offer to show them. It indicates "permanence" and "dedication". Employers look for that. If you have a pierced scrotum, that's even better! Just pick a suitable time in the interview to bring it up. Nothing more embarrassing than displaying your nut jewelry too soon off the bat. Settle into a nice, relaxed groove for 3 or 4 minutes.

THAT was some funny shi-ot.

Seriously Kopf, my advice is to NOT try and remember everything just right. If you have common sense and tell yourself you're right for the job (don't think you've done that yet), you'll have the poise and confidence required to interview well.

And remember: that nimrod sitting across the desk from you farts after a chili dinner just like everyone else. They're only human so don't assign more respect to them than they might deserve. Just be courteous, answer the questions calmly, ask about the breasts like Scates said and you'll be golden.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Seriously Kopf, my advice is to NOT try and remember everything just right. If you have common sense and tell yourself you're right for the job (don't think you've done that yet), you'll have the poise and confidence required to interview well.

You're right. I used to handle oral exams quite well, wasn't too nervous or nothing. Now's the same, with the exception that this job... I quite like the thought of having it. And the odds are slightly different... in an exam, I used to know I was going to pass, cause I knew the stuff. Now, even though I may know the stuff, there's still others...

I'm off to bed.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Good idea. I wish you well; let us know how it went tomorrow.

-Moogs