Friggin Microsoft problem!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

All I need to do is open a file in Microsoft Word so I can print it, but I can't get Word to work. Every time I click on it the program freezes half way through loading the splash screen. The program crashes but not the whole system.

All my Microsoft software is like this (except WiMP) - Excel, PowerPoint, Entourage and Internet Explorer all crash when I try to launch them. Everything else works fine. Excel and PowerPoint crash the same way as Word. Entourage crashes before the splash screen even loads and Internet Explorer (three different versions!) crashes after loading a blank white outline of a window.

I was initially using Office 98 when it did this so I upgraded to Office 2001. That didn't fix the problem. Then I tried turning all extensions off; still not fixed. Then I tried all extensions on and then combinations. Nothing. I ran Norton and it couldn't find any problems. I reinstalled stuff and still no luck.

I don't know what to do now. I've tried opening this file in other programs but I can't get it to work. It uses a fancy layout that will only work in Word.

My computer is an old wallstreet G3 running 9.2.2. I installed a lot of new software before I noticed the Microsoft stuff stopped working (I hardly ever use their garbage) but the only major things which went into the system folder were USB extensions and the Japanese Language Kit.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get this working, please help me. I know I need a new computer bad, but I can't afford one right now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    What about reinstalling all the M$oftware?

There might be a problem with the japanese language stuff.

try removing it & see what happens.

I'm running OS9.2.2 as well & find that sometimes the machines all slow down dramatically when using M$oftware.

I have Powermac 7300/200, plus two Imac's 350Mhtz & 600Mhtz all of them did that sort of crashing & freezing.

Giving those programs more memory seems to help.

PS You might want to zap pram in your next start-up as well as "rebuild the desk top "

Good luck

\
  • Reply 2 of 5
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    I've had that problem before and it is most likely due to fonts. I don't know why but if you have a lot of fonts, then MS Office will crash upon loading. I had to erase every trace of MS, then re-install, when that didn't work, I replaced my (huge) fonts folder to another and replaced it with original amount of fonts in the system library and home library. I re-installed MS Office and boo-ted it up and now it works fine most of the time.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    fathomfathom Posts: 7member
    Thanks for your suggestions. Pram was recently zapped and desktop rebuilt so that isn't the problem. Tried reinstalling the MS stuff, tried giving it more memory, tried going down to basic fonts - so far still no luck. I'm about ready to try reinstalling the system.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    It has all the hallmarks of a font problem. Thing is, going down to just the basic fonts isn't necessarily the solution because apps bork if they're missing fonts too, don't forget.

Have you done anything recently like tidy up a bit to get yourself some HD real estate, or made backups, or, deleted... something... like a user, or (I know!) fonts?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Ah: I thought you were running Office X. Office 2001 is a different kettle of fish.

Still could be a corrupted font, though.