Command to Restart in Single User Mode?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have an OS X box which is a beige G3. I don't have any ADB devices, I use a Apple USB keyboard and mouse via a PCI USB/FW combo card.

When booting, the USB driver doesn't load early enough in the boot process to allow me to use the keyboard combination of "Apple + S" to enter Single User Mode.

Can I issue a terminal command to restart in SUM?

What about Verbose Mode? Can I do that too somehow?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    I was wondering this myself, because I have a second partition with YellowDog Linux on it, and the first thing that loads is asking if I want Linux or OS X, and after I choose X it's past the point of holding Command+S.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    reidreid Posts: 190member
    Is single-user mode the same as console mode, where the screen is entirely black with a command-line terminal? If so, you can get into this from the login screen.

If your login screen displays the list of users, click on the "Other" user (you can enable it in the Login pref pane). Enter ">console" as the user, and click "Login", and you'll be immediately transported back in time to the bad old days of command-line interfaces.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Awesome. Thanks.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

I have an OS X box which is a beige G3. I don't have any ADB devices, I use a Apple USB keyboard and mouse via a PCI USB/FW combo card.

When booting, the USB driver doesn't load early enough in the boot process to allow me to use the keyboard combination of "Apple + S" to enter Single User Mode.

Can I issue a terminal command to restart in SUM?

What about Verbose Mode? Can I do that too somehow?

1: type

reboot then hit [return]

2: type

shutdown then hit [return]