Are Communicator and/or IE "good enough" on OS X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My parents are about to do a major upgrade in their computers by buying a 14" iBook and iMac. They previously have had a 7200/200. Yeah, we're talking about a big difference!

They are still... ...planning on using their PC to do simple web surfing and word processing, and for simplicity's sake, I'd like to keep the browsers between the Mac and PC very similar (like, the same programs on both).

Do you all HONESTLY think that IE or Communicator on OS X won't be good enough for my parents (upper 50's, lower 60's age-wise). I have a Pismo with 9.2.2, so I don't have any long-term experience with either to make any sort of judgement.

If you're okay with the two, which would you choose over the other and why? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    IE is SOOOOOOO SLOOOOOW on X...

netscape is even worse than IE...

Make a choice between camino, safari, and OW...
  • Reply 2 of 9
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    IE would do the job OK, but i think camino, safari or OW is a better choice.

The best advice is to let them try all four and let them figure out for themselves.

My ranking:

#1: Safari/camino

#2: OW

#3: IE

#12: netscape
  • Reply 3 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Safari with IE as backup.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Load Mozilla (open source version of Netscape) on all their machines. It will look pretty much identical on all of the as it renders it's own interface within the browser. You don't really feel a speed hit for this, but some people complain that all the widgets are "mac widgets" or "windows widgets."

However that is what you want. You want them to use this browser and have it look the same everywhere. Mozilla is best for this.

Nick
  • Reply 5 of 9
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Why are they keeping the PC's? I just can't see the logic in that, assuming they aren't H4RDC0R3 gamers. Why struggle in two environments when a single, beautifully streamlined one can handle anything and everything?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    I think Safari is good enough now. Dump everything else.

Oh and IE is a joke - so slow!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    If your parents are not into speed, IE will do. Cos IE is compatabile more more sites than Safari.

But seriously, SAfari is so much faster and the compatability issue had been improved with the latest update.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by trumptman

Load Mozilla (open source version of Netscape) on all their machines. It will look pretty much identical on all of the as it renders it's own interface within the browser. You don't really feel a speed hit for this, but some people complain that all the widgets are "mac widgets" or "windows widgets."

However that is what you want. You want them to use this browser and have it look the same everywhere. Mozilla is best for this.

Nick

I must agree. Mozilla is definitely the most consistent browser across platforms.

While it's no speed demon, Mozilla is still quick enough for everyday use and its feature set can't be beat.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Daver

I must agree. Mozilla is definitely the most consistent browser across platforms.

While it's no speed demon, Mozilla is still quick enough for everyday use and its feature set can't be beat.

I have to disagree with you in that area though. Using Mozilla from about version 1.1+ shows it to be extraordinarily fast in my own use. I find this so on both Mac and PC. When you consider that they are finally seperating the modules it will be even slimmer and quicker soon as well.

Nick