Does Anyone Remember...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
... That one rumor, about the G5 case, way back when it was still called the G5? not that i like that naming scheme, but thats not the point. It went something along the lines of...

"so-and-so met whats-his-face-design-team-member at some party, and questioned him about the upcoming G5, specifically the casing. While whats-his-face-design-team-member was very shut-lipped, but he did let on that it was designed by steve himself, and would feature some kind of 5-sided design, to reflect the G5."

i really liked that idea, and it makes perfect sense. Leave it to Apple to come up with some tottally new kind of casing.

That was always really my favourite rumor.

What about yours? of course, it doesnt have to be a true rumor, just something you heard and absolutely wished was true.

I think it would be interesting to see what makes people excited the most...

So what is it?

-ST

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    JYD meets the decahedron?

I want my fuel Cell battery that will last weeks...
  • Reply 2 of 21
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Shouldn't that be pentahedron?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Isn´t that a plant?
  • Reply 4 of 21
    socratessocrates Posts: 261member
    Erm... that's a rhododendron. Still it wouldn't be entirely unlike Apple to base there computer design on a flower, would it?

You've seen the sunflower iMac, now try the rhododendron PowerMac. Wonder how that would look.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I remember that rumor. It sounded really cool to me, too.

Now that I think about it, though, wouldn't five sides end up looking, basically, like a pyramid? I mean, take any "box-shaped CPU" (like a PowerMac). It's got 6 sides. Take away one of the sides, and what do you do from there? The thing has to sit flat on one of the remaining sides, so that leaves you with four sides which aren't touching the floor or desk. Seems to me you'd have to bring those to a point like a pyramid or a tent.

Actually, wait, I don't think the rumor was that it would have five sides. I think it was something about the sides being pentagons. Like a soccer ball.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    That is one of the more notorious rumours that was posted up at the (in)famous site Mac OS Rumors. (Alongside the Quad Processor G4 Power Macs, the Motorola G4 variant that never existed and the Dual-Processor PowerBook G4's.)

IIRC, the way the story went was that the "source" talked to someone who met someone at an office Christmas party...and he mentioned that one G5 case concept was a PowerMac Icosahedron; an 11-sided PowerMac. Mind you, my memory's a bit rusted so I'm probably wrong.

I remember that this was posted shortly before the Cube was released.

My favourite rumour: B&W PM G3's coming in Strawberry. Oh, and the whole G5 exploding thing...and Apple-made 3-D Stereoscopic Displays!!!!
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I remember it as each side being a pentagon. I hope that's correct, cuz I decided I'd build one out of some card stock way back when that rumor came about. I still have it actually. I was going to try to scale it up to a proper PCI fitting size but never got around to it. I have thence been able to determine some things about it.

There would be serious cooling issues with any horizontally mounted drives. And anything that was horiz would require strange external parts. You could mount them perpendicular to the surface, slot-loading. Then you may not have enough space for anything.

I think the best possible access options would be the backtop panels out and pulling the center up and maybe out like the cube.

I'll have to scale it up sometime to see exactly how a 5.25 and 3.5 drive fit proportionally.

The best thing is that likely prosition of the MB would allow for a simple placement of pullout front mount USB FW ports.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    mediamanmediaman Posts: 169member
    as a tribute to the most unlikely case idea ever. I spent 10 mins in Photoshop doing this.

I first atempted an 'off front' view but it was taking too long.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    STOOPIDEST LOOKING COMPUTER EVAR!!!!
  • Reply 10 of 21
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    craziest spelling ever!
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

STOOPIDEST LOOKING COMPUTER EVAR!!!!

I dunno ... kinda has a Christmassy vibe to it, and easy to hang from the same tree you hung the designer
  • Reply 12 of 21
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    Design is solving problems - not to creating them.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

JYD meets the decahedron?

I want my fuel Cell battery that will last weeks...

I heard that!
  • Reply 14 of 21
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Socrates

Shouldn't that be pentahedron?

Regular pentagons can be fitted into a regular solid shape - it takes twelve of them, so the solid is called a "dodecahedron". "Dodeca" = 12, "hedron" = faces, IIRC. The "-gon" suffix means edge or side.

The ancient Greeks first figured these things out. Plato is given credit for describing them first, so they are called the "Platonic Solids", five in all:

Tetrahedron: 4 faces, all equilateral triangles (perhaps we should call them trigons to be consistent?)

Hexahedron (aka "Cube"): 6 faces, all squares

Octahedron: 8 faces, all equilateral triangles

Dodecahedron: 12 faces, all regular pentagons

Icosahedron: 20 faces, all equilateral triangles.

I'll be posting a short quiz tomorrow to make sure you've all done your homework.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg

I heard that!

do you not post much anymore, i used to see ur posts all the time, and i just posted somewhere askign waht happend to you

are you just a skimmer now?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    The real thing to talk about is the last tower design that Dorsal had mentioned. Aluminum front and thiner. Sound familiar?
  • Reply 17 of 21
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TJM

Regular pentagons can be fitted into a regular solid shape - it takes twelve of them, so the solid is called a "dodecahedron". "Dodeca" = 12, "hedron" = faces, IIRC. The "-gon" suffix means edge or side.

The ancient Greeks first figured these things out. Plato is given credit for describing them first, so they are called the "Platonic Solids", five in all:

Tetrahedron: 4 faces, all equilateral triangles (perhaps we should call them trigons to be consistent?)

Hexahedron (aka "Cube"): 6 faces, all squares

Octahedron: 8 faces, all equilateral triangles

Dodecahedron: 12 faces, all regular pentagons

Icosahedron: 20 faces, all equilateral triangles.

I'll be posting a short quiz tomorrow to make sure you've all done your homework.

damn... and Coxeter just died... he'd have loved to see those

maybe it's an Apple Buckyball or Geodesic dome.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    My favorite rumor was the iWalk. (and you can never prove it was me)
  • Reply 19 of 21
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    My favorite rumor was that the G5 had been shipped to a select few in welded shut cases....

I've always wondered if there was *some* truth behind it.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    My favorite is any rumor containing the phrase 'spilled the beans'