Halo for the Mac will rock.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Man, I can't wait until July 1st. Halo for the Mac will blow even the Xbox version away (which I have, and love). I mean, online play!?!?!?! WOOOOOO HOOOOO! This will be awesome my friends. Less than two months away.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bioflavonoid

Man, I can't wait until July 1st. Halo for the Mac will blow even the Xbox version away (which I have, and love). I mean, online play!?!?!?! WOOOOOO HOOOOO! This will be awesome my friends. Less than two months away.

Is it really coming? I thought that it was XBox only since MS bought Bungie. I don't play games much on my mac since I've got a GameCube, but I could go for Halo.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I haven't heard anything about it in about 8 months, and I was once an avid member of the Bungie community. I definitely haven't heard a release date associated with it. Also, since the PC and Mac ports are being handled separately, the Mac port will undoubtly lag behind. Riight now the PC guys are shooting for late summer, and the Mac guys are keeping pretty quiet. I say don't plan on playing a finished Halo before 2004.
  • Reply 3 of 28
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Sorce: http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/s...ArticleID=6791

Date: December 23, 2002

Code:

Westlake Interactive is currently working alongside Gearbox in keeping

the Macintosh port up to speed with the PC port. Halo is expected to be

released next summer, with the Mac version being published by Bold. For

more information, or to read the full article, follow the links below.

• Reply 5 of 28
    People are still excited about Halo on the mac?

• Reply 6 of 28
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Jack:

• Reply 7 of 28
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I've been visiting a lot of Halo message boards recently, and on one of them, one of the frequent posters is the guy in charge of the Mac version. Here's a summary of what he's said:

1. There are only a couple people working on the Mac port because it's basically written by the PC division, then sent over to him for turning it Mac-compatible.

2. They will be released at the same time, because the Mac version is always up to speed with the PC version minus a few days.

3. There is currently no G4 or multiprocessor support, but he owns a dual 800 so he's going to work on it once they give him access to bigger sections of code (right now he doesn't have enough of the code to tweak it).

So I'm pretty confident about it. Although I doubt my iBook will run it well at all, unless it somehow takes advantage of the nice G3 with lots of L2 cache... anyway, I'm getting an XBox pretty soon so it won't really matter, I just wanted to let everyone know that there IS work being done.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Once you play a first persion shooter with a mouse and a keyboard, then you will not enjoy playing one on a console with a gamepad.

I play tribes 2 on my pc and can think of over 15 keybinds just off the top of my head! Thats gonna have to be one hell of a joypad!
  • Reply 9 of 28
    frostymmbfrostymmb Posts: 131member
    Quote:

... anyway, I'm getting an XBox pretty soon so it won't really matter...

You're going to support Microsoft? You're going to encourage them in their efforts of buying out excellent games and allowing them release only on the Xbox?
  • Reply 10 of 28
    I'm going to buy an XBox because it is fun. I don't care that MS makes it. I wouldn't care if Saddam Hussein got the money from me buying it... it's a good product, so I will buy it. I don't like Windows very much, and I don't like the way MS tries to stamp out any competition, but I have to admit they make a good video game console (and they DO have quite a bit of fair competition from the PS2 and GameCube, even if the XBox is the most popular). I also like my MS mouse. So I don't particularly agree with their business practices, and I don't like some of their products. That does not meant I will boycott anything and everything by MS.

Also, interestingly, I now actually PREFER the XBox controller over a mouse+keyboard after playing Halo so much with my brother (he's the one with the XBox, but I want my own). But that's probably because there aren't any FPS games for my computer that I like.

EDIT: Also, Halo has pretty simple controls... there are only eight functions other than moving, and all are handled by the six buttosn and two triggers on the controller. I tried Ghost Recon once but I really didn't like it, FAR too complicated.

Frosty... I've noticed that the last couple posts you made were attacks on someone with no real reason. First a guy for not reading in his manual how to reset his password before asking here, and now me for wanting to buy an XBox. Could you maybe cool it down a bit? It'll be nicer for everyone.
  • Reply 11 of 28
    My post was not an attack on you, I did not word it as one, and I didn't intend for you to take it as one. I'm sorry that you thought it was.
  • Reply 12 of 28
    No harm done. I do understand why someone might want to boycott MS products. I don't necessarily agree, but I can certainly see your point.

I do know some people who not only boycott MS products, they also boycott certain file formats, like wmv, wma, rm, even pdf. That's just weird if you ask me...
  • Reply 13 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I wouldn't care if Saddam Hussein got the money from me buying it...

that statement is just retarded, i really don't think you would buy one if saddam was getting the money.

Quote:

(and they DO have quite a bit of fair competition from the PS2 and GameCube, even if the XBox is the most popular)

hahahaha ps2 is like a million time more popular than the xbox. And if you are talking over the whole world, xbox is last.
  • Reply 14 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

No harm done. I do understand why someone might want to boycott MS products. I don't necessarily agree, but I can certainly see your point.

I do know some people who not only boycott MS products, they also boycott certain file formats, like wmv, wma, rm, even pdf. That's just weird if you ask me...

I don't necessarily boycott all things Microsoft, but when I saw the release of the Xbox and heard the news about Bungie being bought just so they could have a game, then Microsoft selling Xboxes at a loss, it becomes clear the 'dominate all' business practices, even more clear than before. Further, the news now is that Doom III may fall into Microsofts hands, or at least Microsoft will have a strong influence on what is done with it when it's finished. Now, I don't get into games, so the idea that a game won't be in my hands is really no concern of mine. I can do without Halo and Doom III, but I am really disturbed by the way Microsoft bullies everyone so that they can control more and more of the things that people use in their daily lives. I could say more, but I don't want to trash up the thread with off-topic discussion.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    oh yea i forgot this was about halo on mac. I'll pick it up when/if is comes out, its old now but its still fun. The guy doing the mac port sounds real dedicated to getting it out even though he's at the mercy of the pc side. Its good to hear.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Quote:

that statement is just retarded, i really don't think you would buy one if saddam was getting the money.

Yeah, you're probably right. I was just trying to make a point, but that was a bit overboard.

Quote:

hahahaha ps2 is like a million time more popular than the xbox. And if you are talking over the whole world, xbox is last.

I didn't know. I do think the XBox has the best graphics though. But I haven't played the others enough to really know much about them. However, I really don't like the PS2's controller... many games use the dual analog sticks but you have very little access to the buttons when using the analogs. That's why the other two have triggers.

I prefer the GameCube over the PS2, definitely, I'd never get a PS2, despite my lack of experience. I've played Smash Brothers on the GameCube a bit and I don't like it as much as the version for N64 by a long shot, but it's still fun.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    yea i guess i was a bit harsh too, sorry
  • Reply 18 of 28
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Heh. My roommate has an XBox. After experiencing the usual array of random freezes and the rock-bottom-quality DVD drive, and after finishing Halo, it's mostly been gathering dust.

It's so sad that a game that was in demo condition at a MacWorld years ago now has to be ported by Westlake from the PC version, just like everything else. How Bungie hath fallen.

Oh well. I've seen it. It's basically Marathon with outdoor scenes and prettier graphics. Been there, done that. If someone actually does something innovative, maybe I'll pay attention. But the odds that it'll be Bungie are slim to none now...
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

It's basically Marathon with outdoor scenes and prettier graphics

others seem to agree
  • Reply 20 of 28
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/s...ArticleID=7456

1) The Mac port is lagging behind.

2) The Mac port is dependent on the PC port.

3) The Mac port has things no other Mac games have implemented.

4) The have no real timeframe for release.

5) He implies "late summer" which means late September and then makes several excuses on why that may be too soon.

6) As of April 11, the game isn't in a playable state.

I'd say you guys are way too optimistic.