Speech in Panther

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hopefully the voices won't sound like crap anymore and recognition will be better than 10% success rate? Anyone know if they're working on Speech in Panther?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Hopefully the voices won't sound like crap anymore and recognition will be better than 10% success rate? Anyone know if they're working on Speech in Panther?

Yes voices do sound a bit naff, but 10% success rate. Do you talk funny or something? I am from liverpool, but my accent is not that strong, and I only have about a 10% MISS rate.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    It might be the ambient noise, which is hard to avoid.

And yeah those voices sound the same as 10 years ago!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    I'm hoping for Apple to fix up the voices, and maybe add new ones.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Apple said they were in the market for good text-to-speech technology so i can tell you it will be better in jaguar.

Hopefully they went with the AT&T voice system, which is the best out there. It sounds real enough that it can fool you at times.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    that would definatyl be cool if it sounded realistic

but it is funny to hear the computery sounding voices say rap lyrics!

i think speech recognition is hard to do although i think apple has it down pretty well (IBM slightly better i guess though)

text-to-speech has to be incredibly hard
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Better speech recognition from Apple? The company who does not provide an easy way to plug in a microphone into their top of the line computers like they used to? Hah!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Better speech recognition from Apple? The company who does not provide an easy way to plug in a microphone into their top of the line computers like they used to? Hah!

psh in 10years when everyting goes USB you'll be glad ur outdated comptuer can handle it!

and in 20years...or never...when everythign goes digital you'll be glad the DigiAudio G4's have it!
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

psh in 10years when everyting goes USB you'll be glad ur outdated comptuer can handle it!

and in 20years...or never...when everythign goes digital you'll be glad the DigiAudio G4's have it!

Of course! Because everyone knows that speakers and microphones are great Digital devices 8)

I mean geez... the "digital" audio port out of macs, well, isn't.

Whatever happened to the bundled microphones... argh! My 5 year old mac had this, and even had video ins and outs. Pathetic! Um, enough ranting and offtopicness.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Of course! Because everyone knows that speakers and microphones are great Digital devices 8)

I mean geez... the "digital" audio port out of macs, well, isn't.

Whatever happened to the bundled microphones... argh! My 5 year old mac had this, and even had video ins and outs. Pathetic! Um, enough ranting and offtopicness.

no no u can go on i dont mind reading rants as long as they are humerous or not just rambling

oh wait...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    inkheadinkhead Posts: 155member
    Apple jumped the gun on the USB audio. In fact they should have included the adapters and the audio in/out ports. (on the new ones aren't they back in?)

USB audio is extremely superior to standard audiojack. Many pro audio components in studios are now shipping with them. Apple made the mistake of thinking it would come to the masses sooner.

Apple will have good tricks up their sleve for the new cases based around the 970's

In the meantime i recommend spending $60 and getting the 6.1 channel audio card for your mac. It will do your soul good.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by inkhead

Apple jumped the gun on the USB audio. In fact they should have included the adapters and the audio in/out ports. (on the new ones aren't they back in?)

USB audio is extremely superior to standard audiojack. Many pro audio components in studios are now shipping with them. Apple made the mistake of thinking it would come to the masses sooner.

Apple will have good tricks up their sleve for the new cases based around the 970's

In the meantime i recommend spending $60 and getting the 6.1 channel audio card for your mac. It will do your soul good.

USB Audio is only better, just maybe, because it is not susceptible to EMI/RFI inside the computer. However if the analog/digital conversions, the DAC/ADCs in the USB box are weaker than a good sound card's (like what I use, an Audiophile 24/96, compared to consumer usb electronics) then you can't say USB is better. It is all dependent.

And with certain sound cards like the 24/96 you can attach really good ADCs and DACs via S/PDIF, Toslink, or AES/BEU to them for even better sound (I do this with a separate DAC, so my sound is not susceptible to EMI/RFI inside the computer).

Hm I suppose all I really need is a microphone preamplifier, anyone know of cheap ones?