OS X icons

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Aplolgies in advance, this topic has probably been discussed before...

Where do the system icons live, and how do you get hold of the individual icons or edit them?

For instance, what if I want to use the Firewire volume icon instead of the standard hard disk icon - I know I just copy and paste the icon in the Get Info window, but how do I get hold of the Firewire icon in the first place (presuming I don't have a Firewire device)?

Is there a utility that lets you "look inside" icon files and pull out the icons you want?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    most icon files are located in "bundles" (which are most of the time Applications, because all Applications are are folders that contain all the files neccesary to run the program, so Apple makes it easy by packaging everything into a folder, or a bundle)

So, to view the contents of a bundle control click on the bundle in the Finder and choose "View Package Contents" then open the folder "Contents" then open the folder "Resources" and there are the pictures and icons the application uses..... don't forget to duplicate and not simply remove the icon from the Package....

You can find a lot of system files here:

HD< System < Library

Look under CoreServices for bundles.

OR You could use CandyBar from IconFactory to edit your system icons must saferly
  • Reply 2 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Cheers Nebagakid!

• Reply 3 of 4
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Candybar handles that rather well (look for it on Versiontracker.com).

However, it does involve messing with some pretty low-level stuff, so it could potentially screw up your system...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    yeah, my mom still has a halloween style Finder icon for her dock!