giFTBox (like KaZaA) for Mac OS X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Everyone download this and help it grow. It's the closest thing we'll ever get to Kazaa and it's good for a beta 5 version.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...group_id=58556

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    How do you get some servers?
  • Reply 2 of 29
    you start the giFT Daemon and then connect to the local giFT daemon. i've gotten up to 852 users and 700,000 files.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    For some reason it did not work the first time I tried. Now it works. Looks good.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    852 users? I hope Kazaa dies because it just plain sucks on Mac (and they cap it here!)
  • Reply 5 of 29
    I can't get it to run

0 users, 0 files...

this is what I get when I try to connect.

[giFT ] /Users/taco/Projects if_event_attach (127.0.0.1): 0x6d340

OpenFT: 68.116.18.21:1215 (USER) -> DISCO: Socket error: Bad file descriptor

OpenFT: 216.241.38.98:1215 (USER) -> DISCO: Socket error: Bad file descriptor

OpenFT: 213.221.81.20:2392 (USER) -> DISCO: Socket error: Bad file descriptor

OpenFT: 24.165.31.14:1245 (USER) -> DISCO: Socket error: Bad file descriptor

OpenFT: 66.93.220.94:1215 (USER) -> DISCO: Bad file descriptor
  • Reply 6 of 29
    daverdaver Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigMcLargehuge

I can't get it to run

0 users, 0 files...

this is what I get when I try to connect.

[giFT ] /Users/taco/Projects if_event_attach (127.0.0.1): 0x6d340

OpenFT: 68.116.18.21:1215 (USER) -> DISCO: Socket error: Bad file descriptor

OpenFT: 216.241.38.98:1215 (USER) -> DISCO: Socket error: Bad file descriptor

OpenFT: 213.221.81.20:2392 (USER) -> DISCO: Socket error: Bad file descriptor

OpenFT: 24.165.31.14:1245 (USER) -> DISCO: Socket error: Bad file descriptor

OpenFT: 66.93.220.94:1215 (USER) -> DISCO: Bad file descriptor

I get the very same thing with newer builds of GiftBoX, which is odd, because the first betas used to connect just fine.

Anyone know what's going on here?
  • Reply 7 of 29
    I let it run for a little while and it eventually connected to a remote site.

So it's working now
  • Reply 9 of 29
    Spam indeed. None of your links work, Mulattabianca.

Anyway, this is a nice little app. I was connected to 1052 users last night. Though, a lot of my searches end up blank. Ah well, a good start.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    After trying giftbox for a while I still find that Acquistion is a lot better. A lot better.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    Is giftbox working for anyone??

It worked for me for about one day and night and now whenever I click to start sharing and downloading a few seconds later it changes from on back to off.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Does anyone have a remote site I could connect to?

Thanks,

Dan
  • Reply 12 of 29
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Kazaa is on borrowed time anyway. Kazaa would be awesome if U. RI didn't cap it and if Mac support wasn't a complete joke. Open source people are also thickheaded about licensing issues. Why can't giFT be in iSwipe huh?
  • Reply 13 of 29
    Just downloaded this app to give it a try: I know someone who is using it and getting great results. Unfortunately I am getting similar problems to others: 0 users, 0 files... Anyone having any luck here? or any solutions to the problems?
  • Reply 14 of 29
    loganlogan Posts: 284member
    To the people using acquisition, did you guys actually pay for it? I think LimeWire is the best thing available on the mac.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    I have had great luck with mldonkey.

It's downloading 3 movies right now.

But I hope giftbox comes along also, since its goal

is to access many p2p networks at once.

http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...cty=US&lang=en
  • Reply 16 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    YOU GUYS ARE ALL THIEVES!!!

• Reply 17 of 29
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

To the people using acquisition, did you guys actually pay for it? I think LimeWire is the best thing available on the mac.

I haven't payed for it. How can you think Limewire's better than Acquisition? Limewire's never worked well for me.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    From what I gather, Aquisition is an aqua gui over the limewire core.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    jdbon2jdbon2 Posts: 44member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

From what I gather, Aquisition is an aqua gui over the limewire core.

Not exactly. Both Limewire and Aquisition are Gnutella clients. Gnutella is a P2P network protocol. Limewire is written in Java while Aqcuisition is written in Cocoa. Acquisition is more of a native Mac OS X app than LImewire.

Another great client is Xnap for the Open Napster network. Unlike Mldonkey and giftbox you dont have to go through a laborious process of installing it through the command line.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Logan

Limewire is a joke.

Acquistion is the best thing on the mac by far. Just don't register it all u get is a little box that pops up every now and then