Over at macrumors...

970 first.

Kick Moto's ass second.

Pay back? Dicuss.

Lemon Bon Bon

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    As a stock holder, I'm concerned. Lawsuits are costly and generate bad PR regardless of the outcome.

Karma-wise, bring it on!

Screed
  • Reply 2 of 54
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Lawsuits are costly and generate bad PR regardless of the outcome.

Not really.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    WWWWWWWWWWWWWRong Forum
  • Reply 4 of 54
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Sue those a$$holes
  • Reply 5 of 54
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    So I take it, moto will _not_ be 2nd sourcing the 970
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Make 'em pay!!!
  • Reply 7 of 54
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Motorola is doing crappy without Apple kicking them. Aside from the vengeace factor I say leave 'em alone. The karma ghosts will kick their ass.

http://billyblob.com/animation_f/karma.html

• Reply 8 of 54
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    I say sue the cr*p out of em!!!!!

sue them

sack the lot of 'em

take over their plants and use them to build kick ass apple gear with.

wipe the name motorola off the face of the earth forever.

• Reply 9 of 54
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    ...if moto can stick around i wouldn't be suprised if apple wanted moto's business in the future

a great example...IBM
  • Reply 10 of 54
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Wow. Anger management seminars are in order.

If this is true, it could be a tactical move on Apple's part. If you think about it, they really aren't going to get Jack from Mot in the way of money. Even if they win the suit, is Chris Galvin going to find the money under the couch cushions in the break room? And even if he could pony up, why give an endangered partner an extra push? Plunging Mot (and/or SPS) further into debt won't get them chips any faster, or free them from the need to sole-source their CPUs.

In this case, I think Mot dropped the G5 project as triage: Mot SPS looked at what they had to do to stay afloat, and thought it better to spare the expense now and weather the suit later. A lawsuit can be an effective way of telling a waffling or unenthusiastic partner to PAY ATTENTION, and to gain leverage in the subsequent negotiations. So, this is the sequence I'm imagining:

1) The 970-based Macs are unveiled.

2) Apple sues Mot for breach of contract, damages, etc., etc. Both parties know that Mot has no chance in a trial.

3) Behind the scenes, Steve will offer Mot a choice: You restart and complete the G5, and we get one hell of a sweet deal on it, as well as a license to have it fabbed by whomever we please if you can't do it yourself, or: You turn over the designs, any relevant patents, and (perhaps) the engineers involved in the project, and we'll call it even (give or take).

The only cards Mot will be able to play are: Apple's current marriage to the G4, and Apple's presumed reluctance to go from depending on Mot to depending on IBM. But, really, between the suit and threat of insolvency they won't have much room to maneuver. And I don't know Chris Galvin, but I do know that I would not want to be on the business end of Steve's temper any more or any longer than was absolutely necessary.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    If Apple did get the G5 or its plans/engineers from Moto, what would it go to? I guess I need to be 'debriefed' on the whole vapor-ware-G5 --- was it going to be a completely different architecture or just another 600-series variant? Would it become a consumer-grade chip?

The lawsuit would be great and aptly-timed. 970 Macs out, great new music service (and division ), great new OS on the way. Then they call Moto's bluff.

Eggggcellent...
  • Reply 12 of 54
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    /me hugs his IBM-powered iBook
  • Reply 13 of 54
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Until we see a 970, mot still provides the fastest mac CPU's. When you think about it, IBM has been as negligent as mot has been incompetent, don't cheer too loudly at a one supplier scenario, however magical that suppliers wares may seem today, things can change quickly. Listen to Amorph.
  • Reply 14 of 54
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    So as long as the jury is made up of die hard Mac fanatics Apple will win.

The problem with these lawsuits is that they drag on for years until no one can even remember why the companies are sueing each other and then they settle for about the same thing as in the begining. the only people who profit are lawers.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Absolutley jante99! That's why I say let the karma ghosts get the bastards!
  • Reply 16 of 54
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    For years the rumors have gone around that Motorola slowed the G4 development as payback for Steve cancelling the clones. I find it hard to believe that Motorola would give up hundreds of millions in revenue just for spite. On the other hand, I have heard stories supporting this that supposedly came from friends of relatives of the Motorola founders. Only the true insiders really know. If Moto was guilty then one can only say - payback's a bitch.

It may not accomplish much but it would sure feel good.
  • Reply 17 of 54
    970 across the line eh? cool... seems strange... but cool - that would have to be a $hitload of busy tuesday updates .
  • Reply 18 of 54
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Send in the Criton! THE CRITON!!!

View at your own risk...may contain material not suitable for young people, and sane people.
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Send in the Criton! THE CRITON!!!

View at your own risk...may contain material not suitable for young people, and sane people.

• Reply 20 of 54
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Its better to see Apple in court than MS.