Tv Recorders for the mac

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am interested in getting a tv recorder for my iBook. I saw the el Gato eyeTV and they have almost everything I want:

ability to record shows to my computer hard drive

ability to set a timer to record shows at certain times

works with Keyspan Remote

ability to quickly skip commercials

ability to pause live tv

I really wished they had:

Closed Captioning

Ability to Record Multiple Channels at one time.

I know of only a few tv recorders for the mac, but I am not too familiar with their specs:

ATI Xclaim

Eskape MyTV2GO-FM USB TV and FM Tuner

Eskape MyTV2GO USB TV Tuner for Macintosh

Formac Studio DV/TV

Viewsonic VB50HRTV

Do any of you guys know of any other substitutes for the eyeTv that might have all the options I want?

Or how good the eyeTV is compared to the rest?

How good are the quality of the recordings?

Recommendations?

All advice and answers to my questions are very much appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    There was a slightly similar thread here.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macasaurus

I really wished they had:

Closed Captioning

Ability to Record Multiple Channels at one time.

Wouldn't you need two tuners to record multiple channels at the same time? I don't know how possible that is. Anyway, I've found that most networks tend rerun a show later in the week, after its original air date. All you have to do is find the additional time (use titiantv.com) and record show A when it first airs and show B on the rerun. Of course that dosn't work so well with sports, movies, and specials, but usally it works out.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Similar question but from a slightly different angle. I don't particularly care about receiving or recording TV, but I want to be able to send video in to my monitor from, say, a game console or any other external device. I've already got sound going out to my stereo receiver no problem, just want the ability to use my monitor for other devices. Any suggestions?
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Influenza

Similar question but from a slightly different angle. I don't particularly care about receiving or recording TV, but I want to be able to send video in to my monitor from, say, a game console or any other external device. I've already got sound going out to my stereo receiver no problem, just want the ability to use my monitor for other devices. Any suggestions?

You're going to want to start a new thread for this particular question since it is wholly different from the topic of this thread.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Will do. Thanks!